Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat S300 mice ate wires!!

mferraro76 ยท 2015-01-18 12:26

just had some stuff stop working - the bob tach switch, the foot/hand control switch, heat/ac all stopped working. took stuff apart to diagnose and the wires are chewed through in several different places. no power is getting to the switches. not even sure where to begin, anyone have some wiring diagrams I can look at to trace some of these wires - or advice on how to isolate the fault? cost of a new harness?

Replies11
  1. #1crewchief8882015-01-18 15:48

    all bobcat wiring has wire numbers on it. sounds like you already found the fault, ie: wiring damage :drinkup

  2. #2mferraro762015-01-18 19:17

    They are chewed up pretty bad, in several places. I see the numbers on some but don't know where they come or go. I was hoping someone knows a quick way to test the acs switch/wiring and the bob tach. The switch gets power intermittently, as does the acs switch. Bob tach started working thus afternoon but the acs switch isn't, it is allowing me to use hand controls but not foot, even if switch is down. I was getting alternator codes yesterday, think that is wires or alternator? Could that be involved with the switches? I am trying to avoid pulling the whole harness and going through it, it looks like a messy job. Wiring diagrams might help me trace some of the faults and pinpoint where I need to be focusing. Maybe it's time for some barn cats

  3. #3popsiclepete2015-01-19 17:02

    Barn cats are worth all every penny, just don't let in the buildings. Had problems with mice a few years ago picked up three cats, one was run over one was eaten by coyotes and we still have one that knows to stay outside even when the over doors are opened in -40 weather. NO MICE, NO MESS. And this is from a Dog lover.

  4. #4crewchief8882015-01-19 18:16

    is it the mainframe harness or cab harness thats damaged? :drinkup

  5. #5mferraro762015-01-20 06:22

    its the harness that comes up the left side (sitting in it), plugs into heat/ac controls, then goes into the corner by the light, comes out to the plugs for ACS, brake, bobtach. That has the most damage. There was a big nest behind the switches and by the heat/AC controls. Its the bigger bundle of wires, I was going to call local bobcat dealer and see what a new harness costs. Then try to fish the old one out. if a new one is something ridiculous, then I guess i'll try to repair the old. I'll get some pictures up, they must love wires.

  6. #6mferraro762015-01-20 06:26

    definitely don't like cats. but between the antique cars and other rodent related issues, I am seriously giving this a thought. Or find a black snake that doesn't mind the winter.

  7. #7crewchief8882015-01-20 16:07

    i vote for replacing the harness..... you'll most likely have to pull at least part of the harness out to get access to repair it, and you'll likely have more problems down the road. i've done cab harnesses in a couple hours.. :drinkup

  8. #8bobcan2015-01-20 18:06

    Yup _ Wise Words _ and of course, with that 'shiny new investment in cabling' you will want to protect it from another Vicious Attack _ Mice and Rats will chew at/eat many things that make no sense, unless you can keep them away, you will need to STUFF the entrance to the machine where they nest with Steel Wool or Steel Window Screen _ things like Fiberglas insulation and Spray Foam are like candy to them, they just seem to take it as a challenge to buzz through it _ Good Luck!!

  9. #9crewchief8882015-01-21 17:42

    the most used low "buck" remedy that i've heard of is mothballs. ive also heard dryer sheets work, but no confirmation on that one. :drinkup

  10. #10JoeMopar2015-01-21 18:39

    I have a 2008 Case skid steer. Was operating it one day and hour meter went from like 360 hrs to about 5600 hrs. Mice trashed it, brought it back to dealers and ended up with a bill over 4K, after some haggling got it down to about 3100.00. The whole board was shorted out , new wiring, alternator, couple other things. One of the reasons I built the shed to keep it in. They're ruthless ! ( dealers and the mice ):guns

  11. #113X82015-01-21 18:52

    Mrs 3X8 watched a couple cottontail rabbits play under her car one day, thought they were sooo cute. Next day we left in the car and it wouldn't shift right. I got under it to find those cute little bunnies chewed into a harness and got two wires. It was an easy repair but still :Banghead