Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T190 battery not charging

BobcatBucky ยท 2017-07-08 00:29

Hello all, I am having an issue with the battery on my t190 not charging. I recently had to have the loader recovered from a creek where the battery and lower 1/4 of the engine bay were submursed for about an hour. Afterwards I drained everything I could think of, checked all the fuses and relays and could not get it started. After talking with the local dealer, I bought a new starter, hooked it up and she fired back up. About an hour into work after getting it running again, the machine beeped 3 times then showed the acs light and locked the hydraulics for the arms and bucket. I shut down the loader, then went to restart and it said system voltage to low and would not crank. I disconnected the battery and put it on the charger for about 40 minutes then connected it back up and it fired up no issue. I cautiously ran it while I watched the vitals on the computer and noticed the battery is slowly draining. Went and bought a new battery just to be on the safe side (the other one looked to be about 8 years old from the date code) put it in, and still have the same issue. Other than the battery drain, the loader is running great and I have no active codes. Any thoughts on why the alternator might not be working?

Replies5
  1. #1DMiller2017-07-08 07:09

    Probably shorted or contaminated the alternator or regulator as I believe these still use a external regulator. Find the alt. check to see if it took on creek water.

  2. #2BobcatBucky2017-07-12 20:06

    It didn't seem to have taken on any water, but it was in pretty nasty shape so I decided to replace it in hopes of success. However after taking the old alternator out and installing the new one, I don't have any change in the voltage while my skid loader is running. It shows a constant 12.1 volts at the moment and is slowly declining. I've been told it needs to display about 13 to 14 volts when the alternator is working correctly. at this point I've checked all the fuses and all the relays replace the battery and the alternator and the skid loader still does not seem to be charging. I don't know what else I can possibly change to fix the issue.

  3. #3wosama931b2017-07-12 20:28

    Hello , I have seen the connection get loose at the battery , on Cables with the squeeze type connection . especially the ground side . the connection will be tight on the post , but the Cable can get moisture and crowded inside . good luck , sam .

  4. #4BobcatBucky2017-07-12 23:30

    I have checked the batter connectors, I also put a volt meter on the batter and it read 12.38, 12.38 at the starter, and when I measured it on the brand new alternator it measured .06v. It seems odd that a brand new alternator would be bad and doing the same thing as the old one. I'm clueless at this point.

  5. #5jughead2017-07-13 06:26

    if that.06 volts is the big stud on alt. you have a bad connection or a broken wire. never seen a alt. that stud did not have battery voltage