Hey guys I bought a t190 in good running condition but not charging. I replaced the ground cable and cleaned all connections in the engine compartment but still not charging. I replaced the alternator and still not charging. Any advice? Thanks
Make sure you have battery voltage at both the heavy output/ battery wire, and at the 2 wire plug. Plug will have one key switch power wire.
You need to check the switched power exciter wire at the alternator, should be an orange wire. If the exciter circuit doesn't have power with the engine running the alternator won't charge
Ok Willie, thanks. If the orange wire doesn’t have power while running what do I do next. I’ll check first thing in the morning
You could check for a blown fuse
I’ve checked all the fuses and they test good. I havnt lifted the cab yet to see what the connections look like under it
I'd have to know the serial number to know for sure if I have the correct manual, but it's likely fuse 11 in the fuse box, that fuse should have power with engine running.
A3ln41287 I have checked the alt fuse for continuity and it’s good. I have not checked it for power while running.
The manuals I have are older than A3L s/n, but should still be fuse 11 Alt/Kits. Make sure it has power with engine running, if it does see if the orange wire at the alternator has power when running.
I will do that first thing in the morning. Thanks for your help!
Ok, good news. I tested for power at the orange wire with ignition on, nothing. Went back to first plug and I did have power. So left my tester at the end and wiggled harness chasing it up and found what I think is a break in the wire. Plugged it back in and started. No charge. Wiggled harness where I think break is and voila, charging!! Soo happy! Thanks!!
I think I am having the exact same issue on a T190. Can you describe where you found your break? Thanks
So with ignition on test for power at the orange wire going into alternator. If you don’t have power you’ve found a problem. Follow the harness back to the first 6 prong plug. 4 blues, an orange and one other. Test for power at the orange pin there on the tractor side. If you have power there then you know the break is in the orsnge wire in those three feet of harness. I found where the orange wire came out of the loom at a harsh 90 degree was where my break was. I carefully undid the harness loom and examined the orange wire, found the 100% break and repaired it with a quality crimp and heat shrink. Rebuilt the loom as best as possible with tape and zip ties.
And that is not an easy place to open up the harness to do repairs
Thank you, I found that my 30amp fuse, as willie59 described in slot 11, was blown. Working now, replaced alternator earlier in the week so either the old alternator caused it or I will be following your instructions above and finding a short. Thanks