Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat Tree Spade. Need help.

billkater ยท 2025-02-04 21:12

My boss bought a used Bobcat tree spade. TS24C I think. It is a 3 ram spade. Someone has already rewired it and I am trying to figure it out. I found a service manual but it isn't clear to me what is going on. I have it hooked to a Cat 279D. I can get everything to move but one part doesn't make sense. There are 6 wires coming off the spade. One ground and 5 signal wires. The ground splits and go to each solenoid. There are 4 cylinders and a "Convertible" control valve. The cylinders hook to a control valve with one solenoid for each one. (4 of the signal wires). The "Convertible" valve has 2 solenoids but only one has wires to it. (The 5th signal wire) I am using the buttons on the joy sticks to control everything. 2 on the right. 2 on the left. And the left trigger to activate the "Convertible" valve solenoid that is hooked up. With continuous hydraulics on, the following happens, Right upper button-blade 1 goes down Right lower button-blade 2 goes down Left lower button-blade 3 goes down Left upper button-gate opens Now, if I hold the left trigger with continuous hydraulics on the following happens, Right upper button+blade 1 goes up Right lower button-blade 2 goes up Left lower button-blade 3 goes up Left upper-button-nothing happens. I would think that holding the trigger and hitting left upper button would close the gate. To get the gate to close I have to turn off continuous hydraulics - squeeze left trigger - hit left upper button. Does not make sense

Replies4
  1. #1billkater2025-02-04 21:29

    Looking at the diagram of the main control valve. It looks like the solenoid valve that controls the gate (2nd from left) is different. And it has a orifice where the others don't.

  2. #2Kobe Steel2025-02-24 13:04

    Did you find the issue with the gate not closing?

  3. #3billkater2025-02-25 00:20

    Not really. I have a work around though. If I want the gate to close I have to turn off continuous hydraulics and use the roller switch on right joystick in combination to the left upper button and left trigger. I am thinking about switching hose.adound so to.open.the gate you have to do the work around. That way it.is harder to accidentally open the gate

  4. #4Kobe Steel2025-02-25 03:09

    There are a couple of things I noticed in the schematics and your description of the setup. By way of schematic the convertible appears to have a Normally open unloading valve (item 9 & item 11). This solenoid would need to be energized when any function is going to being used. This unloader valve shows that when it is energized it checks or blocks flow from port A to port B and allows flow from port B to port A, therefor the oil supply from your machine to the converter valve must supply to the A port and the B port must connect to tank. The schematic may be incorrect because the the 4 pilot valves in the convertible manifold shows that if the unloader valve was instead blocking between A & B ports when energized then the valve could be supplied oil on either A port or B port which makes more sense to the design of the manifold assembly. The Trigger would therefor be operating the 4 way 2 position valve when you needed to change direction of any of the cylinders. Not sure why they made it so complicated for what it is but I think it may be they way they wanted to have a multi directional oil supply on A or B port which is a handy feature and eliminates the need for a reverse flow check valve. Best regards