Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat Undercarriage as Project Starter

Jim Davis ยท 2010-01-03 17:33

I have an unused undercarriage removed from a brand new 1996 model Bobcat X-331 Mini-excavator complete with tracks, motors, rollers, idlers, sprockets and dozer blade ....plus a full shop manual. I bought it to use as a mobile platform for an off-road, rough terrain hydraulic power unit project and it's been safely housed in my shop (untouched) ever since. Does this whet anyone's appetite for a winter project? Lets get some action on this forum.

Replies9
  1. #1bobcatmechanic2010-01-03 19:14

    you just need a power sorce and a hyd drive pump and controls to drive it around and build a plat form. also where did you get a bran new undercarriage from the duck guys that was spare parts after they put the pontoons on? it would be kinda cool to have put a drivers seat on a bench in the back and a roll cage on beer drinking and tote the girls around out at the local mud hole.

  2. #2Jim Davis2010-01-03 20:50

    Brilliant idea. Lets build a proto and apply for a patent.

  3. #3bill53622010-01-03 21:01

    Jim, I have been looking for an undercarriage like you described but for my project I will need a little bigger. I have a conveyor off of my dump truck, and a 45hp john deere diesel and a two stage pump mounted to it, and want to make a portable conveyor with a 1 1/2 yard hopper to use to shoot stone, back filling around house and other types of project where a conveyor works best. This will allow me to be able to get more places and use stone that is stock piled. It will be interesting and see what everyone else has been dreaming up.

  4. #4Jim Davis2010-01-03 21:52

    Bill, I can get you some photos and measurements if you like, it might just work for you with careful placement of the components and possibly some type of drop down stabilizer/outriggers for the conveyor once positioned. A rough terrain mobile conveyor would have also been very handy for the kind of work we were doing in those days. I originally had plans partially developed for this project that allowed for the mounting of a John Deere 4045T Turbo Diesel Engine (115 HP) with direct coupled 50 GPM Pump and about a 70 Gallon heavy fabricated steel reservoir plus output manifold and control console. That would all fit on the platform nicely with room to spare. We were going to use this thing on rough terrain jobsites for powering a 12K ft lb Gear Motor hanging from a TB-035 Mini-Exc. The gear motor was used for installation of helical steel foundation piers. I just recently sold the brand new JD Engine to a fellow in Oregon for replacement of a worn out hydro seeder engine. Still have the undercarriage and reservoir but need the shop space now for less ambitious endeavors - like fishing boat storage.

  5. #5bill53622010-01-03 22:23

    Jim, Thanks for the response, that would be great if you would gets some pics and measurements. I had a 4045T that I just sold now I have 3029 (I think that is the model number I will check tomorrow) 45 hp, I have a direct couple pump I believe it is 50 gpm primary, and 18 gpm secondary. I think this will work great to run the drives off of the secondary pump this will leave the primary for the conveyor and not see any performance loss when moving the machine. I have all of the valves, I'm going to build an operators station for moving the undercarriage, and controlling the conveyor speed, elevation, and direction of the material coming off of the belt. Should be able to place material 100' with this pump and engine. How did you come across the undercarriage, this seems likes an awesome find.... Thanks Bill

  6. #6Jim Davis2010-01-03 23:24

    Bill, I seem to have lost pics in my files but will try to get some more tomorrow along with basic msmnts. I think I just got some contact numbers from local Bobcat Dealer in Fayetteville, AR and started making calls. I eventually located it through a dealer in Louisana. As you probably would recall, the internet wasn't so user friendly then; and I didn't know how to use it anyway. The undercarriage came off a machine that someone had just purchased and was having the cab and works (above the slew bearing) mounted onto a small lake barge. I believe the barge was being rigged to clear some type of obnoxious water plants from some recreational lakes in Wisconsin.

  7. #7bill53622010-01-04 20:13

    Jim that would be great if you can find some pics, if you figure out how much you want for it you can just PM or I can call you if you want. Where is the undercarriage located at? I have everything except the undercarriage, if it will work it would be great looking forward to get started.

  8. #8Waldoc12010-01-17 17:33

    What is the question?

  9. #9Jim Davis2010-01-18 10:24

    See initial thread posting #1 at top of page. Okay, I admit it. I'm trying to hustle up a potential buyer for my undercarriage.