Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bolt from hell!

Welder Dave · 2026-06-13 23:33

Why is it that sometimes something really simple turns into a big ordeal. I was taking the bolts for a mud flap off so I could replace the mud flap. The bolts were pretty rusted so I figured the easiest thing to do was just snap them off. That worked great for the first 3. Of course the last inner most bolt under the box was put in the opposite way with the nut on the back side of the mud flap. Didn't think it would matter but that bolt was cursed. I tried to loosen and tighten but that 3/8" bolt would not snap with a 3/4" breaker bar! OK I'll cut it off with a zip disc. Cut about have way through and the zip disc separated from from the inner hub. Have never had that happen before. Enough of this bolt from hell. I barely have any oxygen left but had enough to cut that damn bolt off. Why couldn't it have been the outer bolt where it's easy to access!

Replies16
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-06-14 08:36

    I have been having a lot of separation of discs from the steel hub lately. Maybe 6 in the last few months. Using Benchmark Abrasives. Just bought a case of Innox to try. Will see if I have better luck with those.

  2. #2BC Placer gold2026-06-14 09:52

    I have been finding lately that zip disks (brands previously good) have been ‘shredding’…. Then maybe a ‘cheap’ off brand will be perfectly fine…

  3. #3Simon C2026-06-14 10:15

    I have about 100 Walter Zip discs still in my box that are 5 years or more old. I won't sell as I use occasionally and the new stuff will probably be worse. Simon C

  4. #4ianjoub2026-06-14 10:33

    I have great luck with these at $.38 each in the 200 pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DYQD55R?ref=fed_asin_title&th=1

  5. #5Mike L2026-06-14 15:57

    Always tackle the bolt that is the hardest to access first. that way things can only get better. Like, follow, and subscribe for more tips like that to prevent you from taking a bath with a toaster!

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-06-14 15:59

    I find cheap zip discs don't last long. I think why the bolt wouldn't break was I was holding it with a ratchet wrench and maybe the ratchet wouldn't hold. The wrench was stuck a little when I took it off but I was able to turn it till it ratchet again. I'll have to try it on a bolt and see if it still works. It should be warrantees if it the ratchet part is broke.

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-06-14 16:01

    The problem was the first 3 bolts snapped off pretty easy. I'll start on the inside one on the other mud flap.

  8. #8donkey doctor2026-06-14 16:21

    I have found the Mastercraft cutoff discs from Cdn Tire work just fine. I have used them with great chunks out of the edge. They don't last long with missing pieces though. The price is certainly right when they are on sale. I have used them to cut off a 4 foot piece of 1/8 plate more than once. Cheaper than oxy acet and doesn't cause the plate to warp. Just clamp down a straight edge and cut away. d.d.

  9. #9Bootheal2026-06-14 16:27

    Talk about derailing… Is there a process to flatten metal (stainless steel) after cutting designs with plasma table? Thanks. And back to the regular programming.

  10. #10Welder Dave2026-06-14 19:43

    Plasma shouldn't warp metal when cutting.

  11. #11Welder Dave2026-06-14 19:45

    I bought some Mastercraft cutoff discs on sale. They wear out real fast! Walter or Tyrolit last about 4 times longer.

  12. #12cfherrman2026-06-27 12:34

    I use zip dics on a battery grinder only, have much better luck with them

  13. #13HarleyHappy2026-06-28 10:28

    Depends on the angle grinder for me. I have a 20 year old Metabo, that has probably run a 1k cut off discs but the damn switch is too close for a 6” disk. Have to very careful of hand placement. I replaced a burned up one, with a Dewalt, damn thing runs so ruff, I would never put a disk on that but with the shaking, grinds really fast. Lol

  14. #14Tyler d4c2026-06-28 11:22

    Sounds like you missing a very important part

  15. #15HarleyHappy2026-06-29 12:57

    LOL almost crapped myself laughing so hard. I still keep the guard on my 8” grinder but on the 4 1/2”’s, that the first thing taken off. Maybe some skin sometimes also.

  16. #16Welder Dave2026-06-29 15:31

    Never heard of an 8" angle grinder. The worst is guys putting a 7" disc on a 5" grinder. Real easy to lose some flesh! Makita can tell when someone has done it and will void the warranty. It takes the bearing out. Walter has an exclusive grinder made by Metabo that is anti-vibration. They even drilled a hole in a grinding wheel to show the difference from a std. grinder. You could hold the grinder running and flex your arm like a barbell and barely notice the grinder was even running. It was quite impressive. A little pricey but a premium grinder with a slip clutch to boot!