Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bolt of the Day! Fasteners Too !

fixou812 · 2015-06-13 18:26

I'll show you mine but I'd rather see yours. You could have all the swaggy shiney fancy tools in the world but without a nice collection of bolts. ...what good are they? The price has gone up ...availability and quality down? I've seen buckets of bolts rusting outside. I've seen lots of new bolts swept up and thrown away. All the places I've been i really should have worked on my bolt collection. I'd never have to buy another beer!

Replies38
  1. #1fixou8122015-06-14 10:25

    Wonder what this would cost you at the stupid store A clean sweep...but not a recent one. One barley pop per handful.

  2. #2Old Doug2015-06-15 19:12

    I save more bolts,nuts,washers, wire terminals than most do. Its hard not to save something that i think i will need some day.I wish i had a cheap way to store them the coffey cans and peanut butter jars need some improveing on.

  3. #3caterpillarmech2015-06-16 05:58

    I keep everything if I can reuse it. I use medicine bottles and some oganizers bought from home depot. 18x12x3. Locking lids, and stack able. They come with dividers you can arrange the holes like you want.

  4. #4clintm2015-06-16 20:58

    a heavy table or shelf with 2x4 sides on it work's pretty good just pile them on that way you can dig around in them to find what you what

  5. #5fixou8122015-06-17 17:29

    handy fastnet Outers push. Inner pulls. Sounds like you have the same containers i have!

  6. #6kshansen2015-06-17 18:56

    Don't tell the boss where I just retired but seems a few odds and ends stuck in the bottom of my pockets almost every day. I made it a habit when I went to bolt bins for hardware and wiring kit for wire ends to always get one or two extra just in case one got dropped or had been in the wrong bin did this to save time going back for more. Sometimes they would manage to get forgotten till I was putting clothes in the washer at home!

  7. #7gtermini2015-06-17 19:52

    When I send out projects I build in the shop, I've made it pretty standard practice to send about 110% of the necessary hardware. Otherwise, they always come back to get a replacement for the screw they dropped and it bounced to who knows where. All the junk I put in my pants pockets usually doesn't show itself until the dryer. Sounds like nickles through a vacuum. lol Greyson

  8. #8old-iron-habit2015-06-17 23:26

    2 gallon oil jugs with one side cut out works well for the bigger stuff. The jugs set on a shelf under the bench ready to grab the handle to pull out and dump the one with the sizes needed because the bolt you need will be on the bottom. If you have white jugs you can use a magic marker to write the bolt diameter on the end of the jug. The old metal oil cans were the cats meow but none to be found anymore.

  9. #9Catpower2015-06-19 23:07

    Fixou812 I recognize most of what you have there. Honest it just fell in my pocket... I love it when they ask if you want the garbage go ahead and take it:notworthy I love shiny things that don't rust or Gr 8 or 12. Was able to get some lock out relays some years ago that will be for an up coming job if I make enough money from work... I am doing a collecting of 20 liter pails for putting things into.

  10. #10fixou8122015-06-25 19:49

    Beam clamp Think it was from Grainger

  11. #11fixou8122015-06-28 10:25

    An old cardboard tube helps to load the loom After you get it started just pull the tube out and stretch the loom.

  12. #12fixou8122015-07-02 16:42

    Hopefully you won't need this tool for awhile It takes a little getting used to. ...

  13. #13fixou8122015-07-02 16:47

    a thin paper clip just fits into those connectors. ... And assist guiding it into the crimper....Very small

  14. #14lantraxco2015-07-02 16:50

    What flavor connector are those?

  15. #15fixou8122015-07-02 16:51

    a rivet tool made by Snapp Works jiffy

  16. #16fixou8122015-07-02 16:56

    All flavors Trax.....let me know what flavor suit your delicate pallet and I'll make up a pigtails and send it to you! Think that one's pork.

  17. #17fixou8122015-07-02 17:02

    the bolt in the center is for bearings, wheels And other stuff

  18. #18fixou8122015-07-10 14:51

    If i knew you were coming i'd a baked a Cake ! Fresh off the 3D printer. (Plastic )

  19. #19fixou8122015-08-02 08:48

    Everyone's party pack or bolt bin should include some "Well Head bolts " Why? Where to procure them (prefer free or trade for beer)...and what do they look like? Inch and a quarter. ...Inch and a half. .. lots of other sizes each way up and down. they look like a threaded rod. Kinda fine thread. put it in a piece of pipe and... "You can push or pull on something "Real Hard " ♡

  20. #20kshansen2015-08-02 10:04

    This is one that has given me grief on more than one occasion: This is used to hold a small cover on the transmission of my Sportster where you add transmission oil. Two little 1/4 -20 allen heads threaded end open to the oil inside so no rust or corrosion to deal with and at least half the time need to fight to get one or both out. Last friday had to drill out the head till it fell off the turn the threaded section out with fingers. SOB was tight enough to strip the hex out. I always put them in just snug but the taper on the head manages to lock it in the cover. This time I bought three extras so I was all set for next time!

  21. #21fixou8122015-08-05 18:42

    Since I can't post pictures of bolts from my phone lately. .... Lately I installed some new tracks on a New or rebuild chain. ...? Well think it was a pc200 or such. ...New bolts new' chain. ... after installation the central scrutinizer says. ... hey cupcake weld those old grousers to that new' chain. ....umm ok sugar. Maybe it was driving over bricks scrap iron or rock... or all... ...or he didn't want them coming loose. ...? ..."last time around. ...last rodeo. ....sumthn ....or selling the machine soon.

  22. #22DB22015-08-05 20:33

    I always find heating the head red hot and letting it cool works on that countersunk style bolt. Not sure if you can put heat where it is in your application though I always dab some antiseize on the taper of the bolt when reinstalling

  23. #23kshansen2015-08-06 07:40

    Don't think the aluminum case of the Sportster would take too kindly to the red hot steel! But yes, have had a problem with a larger version of these that held a planetary gear set in a Dresser Loader, heat to dull red, let cool and they would almost screw out with fingers. Also think part of the problem I was having could be due to wanting to change oil while engine was hot. As we know aluminum expands more than steel at the same temperature. This may have cause the fasteners to get tighter than when installed.

  24. #24fixou8122015-08-06 18:26

    Maybe Teflon tape on the underside of the funnel?

  25. #25fixou8122015-08-08 10:36

    Airliner Crashed. ...many lives lost That news report from many years ago probably long forgotten. Mechanic failed to install 47 bolts in tail. A true story. (and probably some desk jockeys fault)

  26. #26old-iron-habit2015-08-08 13:02

    Maybe this is when they started requiring having a inspection of repair work. My brother once worked a number of years for an airline and after every repair they had to have two separate inspections and sign off.

  27. #27fixou8122015-11-24 19:08

    I was pulling the rusted thru axle cover off a 3500 Chevy panel van last week. The six point socket fit very loose. Maybe because it was so rusted. Don't know if it was metric or standard. Socket fit loose so i gave the heads the..... "Ball Pean Massage. ....till the socket fit just nice.

  28. #28kshansen2015-11-24 19:31

    That same process has worked many times on Phillips screws to reconfigure them after they have slipped. Tape with hammer till recess is almost closed and then insert screw driver and tap it in to reform the recess. All the tapping also helps free up any rust or corrosion. Some times on Allen head screws using a Torx bit will give a little better bite to remove a bolt.

  29. #29nowing752015-11-24 20:41

    When I worked in the hanger most repairs got inspected. On the line most things the mechanic can sign off. Not sure what accident your talking about but there was a 747 that the pressure bulkhead was not fixed properly and it blew off at altitude. The bad part other than loss of life is it was repaired by Boeing.

  30. #30old-iron-habit2015-11-24 21:55

    I seem to remember an accident where the root cause was believed to have been bolts were not thought to have been safety wired properly and came loose or out causing the crash. Been a long time ago and the memory is fuzzy.

  31. #31Taylortractornu2015-11-25 07:26

    The landfill i manage is owned by a motorhome mfg. I also do most of our mechanicing. Im a hardware hoarder. The make most of their frames and the othe day i got a 5 gallon bucket of 7/8 grade 8 new bolts. Then the other day i was at the plant looking at one of my cans and a trip dumpster there at the back of the frame shop was full of half inch grade 8 nuts bolts and washers. i loaded up. At the scrapyard i frequent they handle industrial accounts. Theres a heavy fab shop that drops there and they often drop sealed gallon buckets of b7 7/8 bolts nuts and washers

  32. #32nowing752015-11-26 20:28

    There was an incident where the mechanic used bolts a few grip lengths to short on the captain's window and it blew out and the first officer landed the plane with the captain hanging out.

  33. #33OCR2015-11-27 17:35

    Yes, there surely was... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390 http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19900610-1 OCR

  34. #34fixou8122015-11-28 11:10

    Excellent idea KH Thanks I'll definitely use that one!

  35. #35OCR2015-11-28 20:43

    Must have been this one...? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Express_Flight_2574 http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001212X18077&key=1 OCR

  36. #36OCR2015-11-28 23:40

    My edit time has expired, so I'll just make a new post... I found a "reenactment video" of the Flight 2574 crash on YouTube... somewhat mediocre, however, somewhat interesting too... looks like there's a lot of that type stuff from Dailymotion . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMLvT91iLEk OCR

  37. #37fixou8122015-11-29 10:04

    On the crash I'm thinking of i believe the whole tail came off because of missing bolts.

  38. #38nowing752015-12-01 21:49

    http://lessonslearned.faa.gov/ll_main.cfm?TabID=4&LLID=16&LLTypeID=2 . This is the one I'm thinking of