Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bolt/pin on Smooth edge for Bucket

wilddanz71 ยท 2010-03-09 19:29

Any one know were to find a bolt/ pin on smooth edge that goes over the teeth on an excavator bucket. Do you know what im talking about? I have seen some guys that have some thing that goes over the teeth of the bucket so they can grade or cleean up a footing hole without leaveing the grooves from the teeth in the dirt. Were do you get these? buy them or make them? DAN

Replies16
  1. #1stock2010-03-09 19:38

    What we use are teeth welded to a piece of cutting edge put it on when required ,simple.

  2. #2wilddanz712010-03-09 19:41

    Thats kind of what I was thinking, But do they sell a ready made atachment? Do you remove the teeth pins every time you change? how much work is that?

  3. #3Digger Dan2010-03-09 23:08

    I have a 30 inch dig bucket (6 tooth) with a cutting edge welded onto three of the teeth so if I want to change it over to a tooth bucket then I just need to remove three of the pins that hold on the teeth. Not an ideal situation but it works ok. I do find with this size bucket I almost always keep the blade on the teeth and it does make for better cleaner trenching.

  4. #4KevD8152010-03-09 23:48

    I've come across a few of these before. One i liked in particular was a tall cutting edge (looked like it was off of a highway plow) with two loops welded to the back of it to hook onto the outer teeth of the bucket. Then there were two tabs of half inch plate welded to the top of the cutting edge that extended into the bucket. These tabs bolted through the bucket floor effectively locking the cutting edge to the tops of the teeth. It took all of two minutes to put on or take back off and it was sturdy enough to dig with in loamy soil.

  5. #5tootalltimmy2010-03-10 01:13

    My teeth were getting worn out on my digging bucket so I had a piece of grader blade cutting edge welded to the teeth. I haven't removed it since but I could and put some new teeth on if I run into some very hard digging. My friend just gave me two more long pieces of cutting edge the other day. Pretty handy to have around.

  6. #6gatorguy2010-03-10 01:28

    All the blades i have seen have been made with old teeth and a piece of grader blade. Just put the old teeth on and weld the blade to it and there you have it. Then you can easily switch between the two and at very little cost. I'm sure you can get this kind of thing from the large dealerships but when you see the price the cutting and welding won't sound like a bad idea. Good luck. :drinkup

  7. #7wilddanz712010-03-10 06:40

    Thanks guys, sounds like you all are doind the same thing this mst be the cheapest way to go. I did like the idea that KEV had about the tabs that could be bolted to the inside of the bucket. Keep the sugestions coming!

  8. #8Orchard Ex2010-03-10 08:00

    You want a "Crumbing Blade". Here are a couple threads with ideas and pics: And here's a company that has them ready made: http://www.gradeblade.com/

  9. #9T.McG2010-03-10 09:04

    I welded a strap on each side of and on top of the blade so it goes inside the bucket. I cut a hole in the side of the bucket that lines up with the hole in the end of the strap and used a bolt to hold it in place. A bolt and nut on each side makes for easy on-off. The pic was one from ORCHARD EX that I edited to show the strap.

  10. #10gasfield315c2010-03-10 17:51

    that thing in the pic would be the only option if you had twist on teeth, unless you cut it all back apart when you didnt want it

  11. #11Jam2010-04-26 14:26

    Working with this bucket today so took a pic....cheap and cheerfull but works a treat. Only the outer teeth are pinned so easy to change back to digging teeth whenever needed

  12. #12Hendrik2010-04-26 19:16

    Oooooh I can see another engineering project for myself. I've got loads of worn out teeth just waiting to be used in this application

  13. #13watglen2010-04-26 21:32

    That is a great idea, i'm gunna steal that one.

  14. #14stock2010-04-27 04:32

    Not such a good idea,did some thing similar to this about 10 years ago and it is fine as long a the teeth don't wear and the bolts are not required to take any load only as a retaining device. the cutting edge welded to the worn the worn teeth is the way to go...will have a look in the yard to see if the plate is still around.........

  15. #15plantman.uk2010-04-27 16:41

    it's a 'gummy' bucket good for digging around cables, and footings use em all the time

  16. #16stock2010-04-27 16:58

    Absolutely wouldn't be with out one.....