Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

“Bomb Steer” lowbed trailer???

tractorfactor ยท 2017-04-10 11:20

What the heck is bomb steer? Heard this somewhere but no one I've asked can tell me - including google...

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2017-04-10 12:17

    As a WAG, they may be referring to the bomb carts with front and rear axles pulled by small tow tractors. I believe some had a steering linkage setup that when the front axle steered one way the rear steered the other, you could pull the whole train in a circle. Others were a kind of wagon steer. YMMV, I may be all wet.

  2. #2JBlackwell2017-08-01 14:56

    If you are talking about a heavy haul lowboy trailer with a rear booster/stinger axle group then you are referring to what people call a rear bump steer option. That is when you have hydraulic rams on both sides of the spreader bar with a self-contained pony motor to power the cylinders and allows you to hydraulically straighten the stinger axle group in a straight position in order to back up in a straight line. Now almost all pivot style stingers have a manual or air operated pin to lock the spreader bar in a straight position, but they are not engineered by the trailer manufacturer to be used when loaded, only unloaded.

  3. #3JBlackwell2017-08-01 15:05

    Here are some examples

  4. #4Junkyard2017-08-01 16:00

    Example 1. Etnyre lite weight.... Example 2. Cozad... What's up Blackwell!

  5. #5JBlackwell2017-08-01 16:11

    Hey there. Yeah, when this guy said bomb steer that is the only thing I can think of that makes any sense on a lowboy trailer. I couldn't find a pic of a Kalyn to use like the one you had.

  6. #6Junkyard2017-08-01 17:09

    That's all I thought of too was bump steer. Who knows though.

  7. #7DMiller2017-08-30 19:25

    Not seen a steerable three axle jeep, pretty handy.

  8. #8Junkyard2017-08-30 19:48

    Bump steer on a west coast trailer is handy. It'll help backing empty loaded, you can almost steer it like a full steerable trailer. Loaded is another story depending on how big the cylinders and pump is. I had a trailer like the red one, great empty and all but useless loaded. My Kalyn 13 had bump steer and it was bada$$. Giant cylinders and a 23 HP motor running hydraulics. The lighter setup only had 5.5 HP and the barrel of the cylinder was just slightly larger than the polish rod on the big setup......

  9. #9DMiller2017-08-30 20:45

    I was used to the old Load King drop necks and folding neck low boys, you all are so lucky.