Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Book value on used equipment?

gajim ยท 2012-02-13 15:09

Is there a website that has book values on used equipment? I tried Google with no luck. I am going to sell my JD CT322, JCB 1CX & JCB 2CX and I have a buddy interest in two of the machines, but asking prices are all over the map.

Replies16
  1. #1sheepfoot2012-02-13 17:00

    gajim, I used the green book years ago, we used to get new ones every year, some dealers may also give you a price if you know your sales man also.

  2. #2sheepfoot2012-02-13 17:15

    Try equipmentwatch.com this is the book source we used to price used equipment, there is more out on the web but this was what we went by.

  3. #3John C.2012-02-13 19:45

    MachineryTrader.com is what I use all the time. There is no such thing as a blue book or book value in heavy equipment. Good Luck!

  4. #4gajim2012-02-14 14:09

    Thanks for the tips guys. They want $1,750 for the online equipemt value guide. I am surprised KBB or Black Book doesn't have a guide. I guess I'm SOL.

  5. #5John C.2012-02-14 22:36

    No one can make a guide because there are far too few individual models, too many different options and builds and far too many individual points of condition that have to be assessed before a value can be determined. Even if you could put all that together at some point in time, the next auction might change everything about your subject. You can get a general idea by doing a search in MachineryTrader.com for your year, make and model of machine. Look up the auctions first and then the machines being offered for sale. There is a function page in there that will put that info on one page and give you the averages. You can then use your own judgement about where your machine fits within the high, low and average of that marketplace. Good Luck

  6. #6greggn2012-05-13 21:41

    www.lvgauctions.com and www.aeroauctions.ca both have past auction prices.

  7. #7Finley2013-05-16 15:56

    There is a place I use to check all the prices of my used equipment. The company is called Expert Heavy Equipment Inc. ( www.experthe.com ) and if you call them they will price your equipment for free. Like a Kelly blue book for heavy equipment. They'll show you where they got all their information and make sure you understand how they priced it. It's a really good service. I'd recommend it to anybody. Helped me from getting screwed over.

  8. #8CM19952013-05-16 19:32

    Finley what's your association with Experthe.com and be honest..:cool2

  9. #9Joe Sullivan MZ2013-09-24 09:29

    I think personally the best determination of best price is good market research, and trawling through different marketplaces to find a fair value. Couple that with a few probing phone calls to see how low someone will go, and you're on the right track ( that's in my own experience).

  10. #10unalank2013-11-04 15:20

    An alternative marketplace to machinerytrader.com is Mascus.com with as many listings all around the world. Less auction content, around 6.500 dealers contributing.

  11. #11CM19952013-11-04 18:08

    Unalank what is your affiliation with Mascus.com?:cool2

  12. #12John C.2013-11-04 19:56

    Mascus seems to be the common site in Europe but I find it severely lacking for looking up equipment in the United States. The site is hard to figure out. The ads are compiled from other sites many times with information getting left off or put in a confusing manner. Many times it is impossible to figure out just where the item is located. Sometimes I would like to see an alternative to MachineryTrader. So far nothing else has come close. I don't have any connection to MachineryTrader at all.

  13. #13CM19952013-11-04 20:07

    I know.

  14. #14grandpa2013-11-04 20:59

    lol :cool2

  15. #15Joe Sullivan MZ2014-01-30 07:10

    Agreed on Mascus.

  16. #16brianbulldozer2014-01-30 09:04

    I like using the Ritchie Bros. auction results as a guide. I have no connection to them, although I own several of their hats.