Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boom Boats

John C. ยท 2020-05-18 12:41

I have a client looking for a sidewinder boom boat and possibly found one on Vancouver Island. I've been asked to do an inspection on a unit on Vancouver Island but don't know what it takes to get across the border right now. I'm looking for any information on boom boats; what to look for, used ones being offered for sale or anyone up there who might be able to do an inspection for me on this unit. You can post here or send me a email at [email protected] . Thanks for any information you might provide. John C

Replies11
  1. #1Jumbo2020-05-18 15:22

    Critical criteria; does it float? Most boom boats I ever saw just had big Mercuries in the well to power them. Not to be a smart azz, holding water out is a concern. How thin is the metal? Most worked in the saltchuck and rusted/corroded hulls would be a concern.

  2. #2John C.2020-05-18 15:37

    This isn't one of small bugs that push around one or two logs at a time. It's got a 4-53 Detroit and an Olympic Drive. It is stored on land and questions concerning the hull and the workings is why I would need an inspection. Condition of the skeg and keel cooler along with the drive and steering system would be other concerns.

  3. #3Flat Thunder Channel2020-05-23 00:00

    I know nothing about these boats, but now I am curious. Let us know what you find out. Pictures??

  4. #4hoechucker2020-05-23 23:13

    I don't know much about them either but they sure are fun to drive

  5. #5camptramp2020-05-24 10:06

    Typical West Coast Boom Boat ( Dozer Boat) At BCFP Renfrew Div.

  6. #6John C.2020-05-24 10:37

    Here is a video of a small operation and a boat working. Note the sweat song of the Detroit.

  7. #7Flat Thunder Channel2020-05-25 10:12

    Nice video! I watched a few others I found on YouTube. Those boats can really whip around in the water! The one I watched made me nauseous how much it tipped side to side. I understand how it got the name sidewinder! It looks like the drive is enclosed on the underside hull to protect it from debri. Keep us updated on the boat survey / pickup.

  8. #8John C.2020-05-25 11:57

    I'll let you know after a deal is done.

  9. #9John C.2020-06-30 11:58

    My client purchase a boat that was located in a hanger in Sidney. We had no way to see if it floats but all the systems did check out. It was loaded on a skid and hauled to Seattle where it went on the barge last Friday headed to Southeast. Thanks to all who provided information and suggestions.

  10. #10Tugger22020-06-30 11:58

    Nice Video. Nice wood to. It looks like they need a piledriver in to fix thier dolphins up. The boat looks pretty good. If the engine and drive are good and no coolant laying on the floor the hull should ok. The thin spots are usually around the water line rubbed from chain toggles ect and arent hard to fix.

  11. #11petepilot2020-06-30 19:25

    bedam a bouyant bulldozer