Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boom Truck Crane Issues

Forward ยท 2012-01-09 18:43

Hey everyone, Noticed this place was great for crane stuff, so I will list my 2 problems I have been having with my Terex Boom Truck. 1) Front outrigger is not working. I was told the solenoids in these go a lot, so I decided I would take them off the outrigger and inspect them. When we hit the toggle switch, the plungers moved just fine, and to double check I swapped the up solenoid with the down solenoid, and the outrigger still did not work. I remember when we first bought the truck the outrigger would work sometimes (rarely). Now it does not move at all. 2) Broke a wire coming from the hydraulic transducer going into the LMI sensor box. I removed the computer and transducer from the truck so I could take them inside to solder the wire back on. After I did this I noticed my load was showing 20 percent under what it actually is, which I find quite dangerous, especially when I am approaching my load limit during lifts. I have 2 theories for this. Air got in the hydraulic line when I took the transducer off the hydraulic line, but I'm not sure if this would have any effect at all, just applying my knowledge of brake lines in cars. Or two, when I removed the computer, it somehow reset everything back to factory settings, and it has to be calibrated. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1Tiny2012-01-09 19:13

    You didn't say what model T rex you have but one of the company's Terex front outriggers acted up and it was crud of some sort in the safety check valve . The transducers are a pain , They seem to be a problem . At least two have been replaced on the Terex the company has .

  2. #2Forward2012-01-09 19:19

    Oh sorry. Its a 2001 (actually it might be a 2002) Terex BT 3470. It is mounted on a sterling carrier.

  3. #3Hoister2012-01-10 14:38

    Cant really help with the outrigger problem without troubleshooting it myself, just see if you have hydro pressure at the cylinder itself and work your way back all the way to the control if you have to, to find the problem. And that sounds like you need the computer calibrated. No way you have an air problem.

  4. #4Forward2012-02-13 21:12

    Thanks for the replies everyone, I read them a few weeks ago but I'm just responding now. I ended up calibrating the computer and it works flawlessly now. As for the front outrigger, I am still stuck. I think the ram might actually be damaged but I ordered solenoids just to find out for sure. I will update when I swap them out.

  5. #5Tiny2012-02-13 21:16

    The world famous deal is someone will forget its down and try to drive off , Kinda hard on stuff

  6. #6Forward2012-02-13 21:43

    Good way to see a grown man cry.

  7. #7Tiny2012-02-13 21:44

    LOL , I understand

  8. #8liebherr11602012-02-20 01:20

    When you removed the LMI did you remove the boom length/A2B cable. You'll have to reset the boom,and you well have to reset the boom angle indicator. The boom length is set buy a potentiometer on both the Pat and Greer Systems.The terex by all account last time i saw one had Greer guts. There's a potentiometer on a spring with a gear the engages another gear.. suck the boom in,and adjust minimum length the scope out and back in to for min and max. The boom angle requires an inclinometer or two, you have to put the boom truck on out rigger's level, then with put an inclinometer on the back of the boom and another inclinometer on the LMI. This will give you three angle indicators when you include the one in the LMI.. match all three.The reason you want to match all three is you can find out real quick if there's a problem with the Angle indicator in the computer. It can be done with one inclinometer, but moving it around can sometimes give some run out because of dirt or a slight roll in the steel on the back of the boom. Front outrigger,First,the electrical plugs are cheap ,first and foremost make sure the pins in the plugs are making contact. Grab your self some wire and insert it into the plugs,essentially bridging the plug pins ,and try the outrigger again. If no go,remove the directional valve spool and polish it with Crocus cloth.Make sure its Crocus cloth you ask for and get..flush it of with varosol ,allow to dry replace any O-rings and try it again. Best of luck,,