Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Booster shims and tie downs.

Junkyard ยท 2017-10-31 14:03

Here's another video attempt . Just got to the yard with the IMT 180 I loaded yesterday in Tx. I briefly covered shimming the booster and how I tie them down. Might help somebody fighting an unruly trailer or load. Or it might help y'all decide I'm full of ****. We shall see!!

Replies12
  1. #1hvy 1ton2017-10-31 16:54

    Your phone won't take landscape video?

  2. #2Junkyard2017-10-31 16:58

    It will but when you upload it ends up 90 degrees off. I'm sure there's a cure for that. Damned if I know what it is lol

  3. #3td25c2017-11-05 16:59

    Nice presentation junkyard !

  4. #4Junkyard2017-11-05 17:12

    Thanks! I doubt I created any earth shattering revelations for anybody but sometimes a little guidance is all it takes to sort that stuff out.

  5. #5DARO2017-11-05 17:35

    Thanks for the info. Iv never messed with a stinger. But have fixed a few. Always nice to know how it is sposed to be done.

  6. #6f311fr12017-11-06 15:54

    Thanks Junkyard

  7. #7nowing752017-11-07 18:40

    How much weight can you run on that stinger vers a flip down 4th axel

  8. #8Junkyard2017-11-07 19:11

    In Oklahoma we get 65,000 on a quad and 80,000 on 3+1. Missouri will give up to 72,000 on a quad but won't let you get over 144,000 on a tight 8 axle. To get 160k you have to run 3+1. Then there's KS that makes anything over 150k a superload. Plus Oklahoma has routine issue based on their drawings. If it's not a recognized configuration then you have to go through agent review and sometimes a third party engineering review before you'll get a permit. To get 160k on 8 in Ok it's a review deal. Never a big deal just gotta plan ahead.

  9. #9DMiller2017-11-07 19:34

    At least the old Bridge Formulas are pretty well history, try figuring those calcs sometime!! Axles, distances, weight and bridged capacity. Worst load I tied down on a standard drop deck, two 11 yard mixer drums, no frames, no bracing just blocking and two eggs, SUCKED. Could not keep them still no matter the cribbing, nails, straps or chains. 1290 miles, sweating like there was a fire under the cab. Tie to eggs to a 1x2.

  10. #10JBlackwell2017-11-14 22:24

    Very well explained about shimming the stinger. One thing I bet you may have to do is have the front of the deck dropped on the ground with the trailer axles aired up to get the shim you need put in before lifting the deck off the ground, huh? That Trail King looked good with it pretty much maxed out especially being a 12" beam trailer with a fixed connection.

  11. #11Junkyard2017-11-14 22:30

    Yes I did forget that detail. It's not bad, if you get too much shim in it you'll start to see the wheel area go a little negative. It's also worse with an IMT, being up on the board to clear the rotary kinda point loads the deck. It's a heavy b*****d though. I'm about 57k empty as 3+1

  12. #12old-iron-habit2017-11-14 23:25

    On most makes of phones you have to turn the top of the phone to the left for them to post correctly.