Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boot socks, do you wear them?

SeaMac ยท 2012-06-17 13:27

I have oftened wondered when people complain about their workboots if they were wearing the correct socks. I spent 2 years and countless dollars seeing different Podiatrists and trying every type of boot imagineable before one Podiatrist asked a simple question "what kind of socks do you wear?" my answer "the same socks I always wear". WRONG answer! It never dawned on me that footwear is a system, had it not been for that one Podiatrist I would still be suffering foot pain at the end of each workday. I now wear nothing but socks specifically designed for workboots and WHAT a difference they make. Most of us I presume by expensive workboots but still wear our regular socks with them and then blame the boots for our foot soreness. You have to wear boot socks with boots, they do make them and there are a lot of different types; steel toe, hot weather, cold weather, hard surfaces and soft. Most if not all have wicking properties now which will keep your feet dry when you sweat and they all have extra padding where it counts. It really makes a BIG difference, if you didn't know about them before you can't say that now can you? Getcha some, your feet will thank you for it!

Replies8
  1. #1SeaMac2012-06-18 12:09

    Wig Wam and Thorlo are two brands that I use and prefer Thorlo, they seem to be the best at wicking and keeping my feet dry.

  2. #2CM19952012-06-18 19:20

    Red Wing knee-high socks. Expensive at $8 a pair at the RW store but worth every penny. They are comfortable and last for years.

  3. #3SeaMac2012-06-18 19:25

    Funny you say that, I just picked up some Red Wing boot socks less than an hour ago. So, you paid $8 huh, you must have a special connection, I had to pay $12 per pair and they do seem thoroughly padded, we'll see tomorrow if the get too hot.

  4. #4CM19952012-06-18 20:09

    My wife bought some a week or so ago, buy 5 and get the 6th one free. $40 for socks is still extreme but my feet feel good.

  5. #5SeaMac2012-06-18 20:13

    Aha, so that's the secret, well before I buy that many I need to know that my feets won't cook-in-da-boot. As thick as they are they should be super comfortable. My local RW guy told me they were very good at wicking away moisture, that's fine so long as they don't create too much of it.

  6. #6OLDBEAR2012-07-26 18:53

    Been wearing Redwing socks for years now. They are worth it, especially when breaking in the new boots.

  7. #7CM19952012-07-26 18:56

    Welcome to the Forums OLDBEAR!:drinkup Back on the subject of socks, I have been wearing my newer pairs of RW socks and I can't tell a difference in how hot my feet are. The heat index has been above 100 this week with humidity to match, I go through 2 shirts and two sweat towels a day but my feet feel fine.

  8. #8orkrule12014-01-27 01:02

    Also worth every penny: $25 "Darn Tough" OTC socks for winter, $20 Primaloft OTC socks. (And I don't get paid to say that )