Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boots

EZ TRBO · 2008-08-03 11:10

For the most part I am sure all of us wear some sort of work boot. Why do you wear the type and brand you do? How long do you get them to last? I myself have worn everything from CAT, Work-n-Sport, Wolverine and now trying my first pair of Red Wings. I work in a quarry enviroment and can never seem to get more than 8 months out of ANY of them. See how the Red Wings do now. The RW's will be my everyday work boots and I have a pair of insulated Wolverines that I wear in the winter for both work and hutting etc. They have lasted me almost 6 years(yes they are due to be replaced but have held up really well). Trbo

Replies55
  1. #1landrvrnut222008-08-03 11:14

    I wear a pair of Justin Steel toe loggers in the warmer months, and a pair of Wolverine insulated boots in the winter. I can usually get about 2 years out of the Justin's.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2008-08-03 11:32

    some boot related stuff here too:

  3. #3EZ TRBO2008-08-03 11:41

    Thanks Squizzy, always forget bout the search option. Trbo

  4. #4buddy6052008-08-03 13:23

    Terra is the only boot I wear. They recently got bought out by kodiak. I get 2-3 years out of a pair and I do alot of walking.

  5. #5d4c24a2008-08-03 13:35

    i brought my first pair of these in feburary and they seem to be holding up well ,boots usually only last 3-4 months for me link to site http://www.cover-up.co.uk/index.htm

  6. #6Lashlander2008-08-03 15:26

    Matterhorns! I work in a wet environment and hate rubber boots. These are waterproof and seem to last really good.

  7. #7Turbo218352008-08-03 17:42

    I used to be a big believer in RedWings. My boots would normally last somewhere in the range of 4-5 years. They would be just plain worn out to the point where they were uncomfortable to wear. Then came my last pair. After a year and a half the souls started coming undone. I took them into the store, and they shipped them out to be repaired. Told me nothing about cost. Got them back, from what i understood, this would be a free repair, as i saw it as a stitching issue, not an abuse issue. Went in to pick them up, and they wanted to charge me $50. They got a real bad attitude about things. I told them i would not pay, and they could throw them away. So the gave them to me, and informed they would no longer perform any of the free services for me, right down to oiling, toe capping and new laces. Well, their repair lasted about 3 months, jumped into a trench on a sewer repair and the repair blew out. The soul almost completely detached from the boot. Never again will i buy a pair of Redwings. Just ordered a pair of Whites Boots. They are sure a chunk of change, but are basically custom fit to your foot, and are completely rebuild able. They also offer a steel toe rubber insulated boot for winter that is a reasonable price. We will see how the regular boots hold up before i order anything else from them

  8. #8Dozerboy2008-08-03 19:04

    I've had good luck with my Red Wings cowboy boots last pair lasted me 3/4 years. Had them resoled once ~$80 IIRC and had a local leather guy resew up the stitching $10. Might be looking for a new brand, but I've ripped the stitching out of every boot I've ever owned just about.

  9. #9redline2008-08-04 05:00

    Steel Blue (bondi"s) there rated for 300 deg C i need them for paving ashpalt

  10. #10RocksnRoses2008-08-04 06:45

    Oliver steel cap boots for me. I like the elastic sided boots purely because I can't stand laces. These would have to be the most comfortable boots I have found and they generally last about 12 months. They have a cushion sole which is ideal around crushers for walking on rocks and they grip when climbing around the plant. They are manufactured in Australia but I see that they now have a US website. Here are the links. http://www.oliver.com.au/ http://www.oliversafetyboots.com/index.html Rn'R.

  11. #11Twisted2008-08-04 12:13

    Used to be Wolverines all the way for me until a few years ago. The quality seems to have went down the drain. Stiching falling out, souls coming off. I'm wearing a pair of Rockies now that seem to be fine. I've had good luck with Rocky hunting boots as well. Twisted

  12. #12alco2008-08-04 12:34

    The only boot I can get to fit my foot is a Redwing, so Redwings it is for me. I have always had really good luck with them, so that doesn't hurt either. I tried to get custom boots made, but no manufacturer will take on the project since my feet are so wide. They won't guarantee the boots will actually fit since the steel toes only come in certain widths, and to get a new one built just for me and certified would be a bit too cost prohibitive. Brian

  13. #13Deere96702008-08-04 12:37

    Irish Setters, best pair of boots ever owned, used to run cats but they sucked!

  14. #14knucklehead982008-08-04 14:47

    Wolverines for me I have a pair that I have worn for 2 years. They barely show any wear. They also still have the orginal laces in them. Only pair that have never hurt my feet from day one.

  15. #15bear2008-08-04 18:34

    I usually wear a pair of jungle or desert boots in the summer. In the winter I wear my old pair of jump boots.

  16. #16ASPHALT042008-08-04 19:16

    I recently switched to Red Wing. I used to be Wolverine all the way, but everytime I'd find a boot I really liked they would discontinue them. I had a pair of Wolverines I really liked and I got 2 yrs out of them, which is unheard of for me; Found that they were still making them so I got another pair and they fell apart in 3 months. The quality has went way downhill!! My Red wings are about 3 mos old so the jury is still out on them.

  17. #17CascadeScaper2008-08-04 20:45

    I wear a pair of White's Smokejumper's during dry conditions. Comfortable, lots of ankle support, and they will last forever. I wear them hunting and backpacking as well as work, they aren't waterproof which is they're only flaw. They're fairly water resistant, mud doesn't bother me but standing water leaves me a little wet footed. Last pair of leather boots that I waterproofed, my feet would sweat beyond belief in the summer. For this reason, if I plan on being in the trench a whole lot, I wear a pair of Muck Boots that are completely waterproof. It's tough to have one boot that does everything incredibly well, I figure my 2 pair of boots serves just about every possible scenario.

  18. #18dumptrucker2008-08-04 21:04

    I usually wear danners logger boot. They are pricey but they last me about 3 years. They are totaly waterproof. Their souls are guaranteed for life never to wear out , or they replace them for nothing. Best pair of boots I have ever owned.

  19. #19tylermckee2008-08-05 00:02

    danner, rainforest i believe, waterproof and comfortable. I hate the rubber boots and only put them on when the 8" boots arent enough

  20. #20pwrstroke6john2008-08-05 01:06

    Well I guess Im alone on this, but timberland pros work pretty good for me.

  21. #21humboldt deere2008-08-05 01:45

    I wear wesco jobmasters, they seem to last about four years if you take care of them. I tried the whites, they seem durable but werent as comfortable as the wesco.

  22. #22Bentworker22008-08-05 02:03

    Wesco custom boots. Used to get the packers, but they don't make them with a safety toe. Now I wear jobmasters at work and John Henrys at all other hours of the day. They are great if you have strange feet, I had never had a pair of 12.5's that fit until I got a pair of custom boots since my feet are A-B width. Made in USA.

  23. #23fireman0502008-08-05 03:05

    i wear danner boots

  24. #24special tool2008-08-05 20:09

    Where are Chppewa or Wesco??? Wolverine?? That's a homeowner boot.

  25. #25bigblueox2008-08-05 20:49

    justins and timberland pro series w steel toes

  26. #26Bentworker22008-08-06 01:11

    Wesco Tool, Wesco http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/ 52828 NW Shoe Factory Lane PO Box 607 Scappoose, OR 97056-0607 USA

  27. #27PETE3792008-08-06 08:57

    In winter I wear timberland pro, they seem to last ok but I only wear tall boots when the weather is bad. When its dry I wear steel toe work shoes. I probably walk about 5 miles a day around here and they're just easier on my feet. For years I wore timberland pro and usually got about a year out of them, however the last pair only lasted about 4 months. The front of both shoes were ready to fall off, and the steel toes were ruining a pair of socks a day. I've been wearing a pair of steel toe sketchers now for two months and they still feel like they were when they were new.

  28. #28N.CarolinaDozer2008-08-06 22:47

    I wear Georgia Boots. I bought Rocky's for years, but I was finally taked in to trying something new. I'm glad I made the switch, they are very comfortable boots.:IMO

  29. #29Tryin'2008-08-20 16:53

    Timberland Pro

  30. #30komatsukid2008-08-20 18:32

    Red Wings model 608.

  31. #31Hole opener2008-08-21 01:16

    Red Wing 4470 for me. Red Wing do not have a proper distributor in Thailand so I have to fly to Singapore to get them. Its worth the trip!

  32. #32nedly052008-08-21 05:38

    red wing 4418

  33. #33544D102008-08-21 20:36

    +12345 for Timberland Pro series steel toe. Go thru 3 pairs of laces before the boots wear out.

  34. #34tylermckee2008-08-22 00:22

    the outsole on my danners started to seperate, so i sent them back to danner on monday, and its thursday and a new pair was at my door when i got home from work. Good customer service.

  35. #35[-Agent-]2008-08-22 04:44

    Some nice CAT steal toed boots. I need new ones though, my feet have grown.

  36. #36registered user2008-08-22 11:33

    I'm on my second pair of Chippewa's 8" loggers. They last about a year.

  37. #37AtlasRob2008-08-22 16:38

    I refuse to buy branded, C@t, Timberland, Redwings or any other similar I feel they are over priced. A standard steel toe lace up ankle boot less than £30 does me over 12 months. Used to wear rigger boots alot but they are generally banned on UK site now.

  38. #38BCB2008-08-22 17:21

    Chippewa loggers, goin on something like 3 years on my insulated steel toes, uninsulated non steel toes only last me one summer season

  39. #39John Banks2008-08-22 17:29

    Danner - i am very hard on shoes/boots. nothing lasts more than a few months. So far Danner has been the only boot to hold up for me, very comfortable, Marine Corps aproved and issue and AMERICAN MADE!

  40. #40hvy 1ton2008-08-22 18:16

    I have a pair of 2254's. First pair of wellingtons i've had since i was a kid. My first pair got lost in the mud too many times b/c they didn't fit well. I bought a another pair out of sheer laziness, no laces. I still have 3511's for deep mud and snow. 400g thinsulate is a little much for summer time, but waterproof boots are nice. Plus i needed the shank for the few days over winter break i worked at the hamm dump with a track loader. It was cold enough i couldn't smell if wanted to.

  41. #41hvy 1ton2008-08-22 19:13

    I have a pair of 2254's. First pair of wellingtons i've had since i was a kid. My first pair got lost in the mud too many times b/c they didn't fit well. I bought a another pair out of sheer laziness, no laces. I still have 3511's for deep mud and snow. 400g thinsulate is a little much for summer time, but waterproof boots are nice. Plus i needed the shank for the few days over winter break i worked at the hamm dump with a track loader. It was cold enough i couldn't smell if wanted to.

  42. #42RollOver Pete2008-08-22 20:25

    Not OSHA approved

  43. #43atgreene2008-08-26 12:46

    Way way too much information there Pete. :spaz:eek2:throwup Just didn't need to know that. I switched to Redwings about 2 years ago from Labonville Logging boots. Found the Redwings to be comfy and have weared well. My logging Redwings are separating from the sole, looks like the glue is failing, so I need to get them back to them for repair.

  44. #44DuraMaxMan662008-08-26 21:52

    Timberland....cheap and very nice

  45. #45Turbo218352008-08-27 20:17

    Save yourself the time and cash. Just go buy new ones. Seems that anytime the local redwings shop did any repairs to the sole of my boots, it would last maybe 2 months. This is part of the reason I stopped buying Wings. That combined with the dealer charging me for a repair that was supposed to be free. Then he got an attitude with me telling me that I would no longer receive and free services that redwings provides. This was after I showed him where he was in the wrong. Right down to the toe capping, new laces, and clean and condition of the boots. Never again will that store/company receive a dime of my hard earned money

  46. #46bear2008-08-28 01:58

    What you mean by rigger boots Rob? Rather what are rigger boots? I have 4 years on my latest pair of jungle boots and my jump boots are about 7 years old. I usually clean and shine them once a week. The stitching in newer boots is more often than not a synthetic fiber. Technically it is stronger than a natural fiber but doesn't have the abrasion resistance of the natural fibers (especially ones that are kept oiled). Oiling and/or polishing a pair of boots regularly lubricates and protects both kinds of fibers. I used to help out in the local cobblers shop/shoe store as a kid and do most of my own repairs. Usually go and buy my soles from there and do everything at home. I use a hand stitching awl to actually put soles on and use some long named natural/synthetic fiber mix lubricated through a mixture of mink oil and tallow. I usually heat the oils to liquid and place my thread in them to soak and absorb the oil. It's one of those hobbies that keeps me from going batty in the winter months.

  47. #47InterestedParty2008-08-28 13:09

    I can't believe CAT are doing so badly in the poll - I thought that they would be way ahead. I clearly need to get out more.

  48. #48Reuben2008-08-28 16:52

    I wear rocky's in the winter and for the most part sandals in the summer...I like the open air lack of sweaty feet feel

  49. #49d4c24a2008-08-28 17:20

    rigger boots hi bear these are what we call rigger boots in the UK ,there are many many cheap pairs on the market and it pays to spend a few quid cheers graham http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CATERPILLAR-M...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

  50. #50bear2008-08-29 00:07

    Ok New lingo learned every day. Thanks I was scratching my head trying to figure that out. now I know. :notworthy

  51. #51oisinirish2008-08-29 13:41

    Been wearing red wings for years. I went to try on a new pair just this past winter and for some reason they didn't fit right. Same style, model and size...etc. Apparently they are now starting to make them in China instead of here and the arhc support is all screwy now. I tried pair after pair at the Red Wing Boot Store, trying to find a pair that was comfortable and had the features i need, until they actually asked me to leave. Saying " If you're not buying it's time for you to leave" So now I'm in search of a good replacement..

  52. #52stripe2008-08-31 18:57

    same here:drinkup

  53. #53milling_drum2008-09-08 16:55

    Carhart make boots...I'm on my first pair.

  54. #54qball2008-09-08 18:41

    redwings. only. all day. every day. i don't own any shoes save a pair of funeral shoes.

  55. #55youngoperator2008-09-10 20:07

    i wear terras they are really comtforable from the start, ussallly last me 2 years