Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bosch VE pump on cummins 3.9

mattyt1984 ยท 2014-09-22 20:34

I have a cummins 4BT the bosch VE rotary pump puts fuel out to the injectors but will not open any of the injectors. The pump was fine but has sat 4 years. Any ideas of how to fix or anywhere to send for a rebuild? Engine is aftercooled so it has the diaphram on top of pump with line that connects to intake.

Replies3
  1. #1thepumpguysc2014-09-22 21:54

    HMMM.. Anybody know of anyone?? Just kidding.. Its possible for the diaphragm to be SOOOOO stuck.. that it wont allow the metering sleeve to go to "starting/cranking fuel".. IF it has sat for so long, its probably stuck in the 'NO AIR" position.. Remove the diaphragm cover..4 screws, on top.. old ones were flat head screws.. new ones are 6pt torx w/ 1 tamper head screw.. just get them out the best you can and replace w/ any 6x1mm screw.[metric] Push down on the diaphragm while someone else tries to start the engine. Hope that works.. if not, the head and rotor might be worn, to the point it wont bust the injectors.. Whatever happens. I can redo the pump, just let us know how its going. BTW> theres a tag on the inj. pump that has a p# on it.. your gonna need it.. reguardless of which route you go..

  2. #2mattyt19842014-09-23 07:34

    Thanks I will try that. i also have an LTA cummins with mechanical injectors. The engine runs but smokes a little. I tested exhaust temps at each cylinder and number six is much colder than others. I would like to have injector tested number on injector is 3049149. Thanks

  3. #3Shimmy12014-09-24 02:13

    L10's like an overhead. Chances are the injector is good but preload is gone.