I'm putting a new undercarriage on one of my crawler loaders, it has full length rock guards on it and was wondering whether to put single flange or double flange or a combination of both on for bottom rollers, on my last dozers I did alternating single and double on them This undercarriage was original of sorts, we've had them off and rebuilt the rollers by welding them up and ran them for another 2k hours and this time we ran it so worn there isn't anything left of the rollers to weld up, all the doubles broke the inside flange completely out and those flanges are gone. Any suggestions or idea's and why, I'd like to hear, thanks in advance.
FWIW I had a 977L that had a combination of single and double rollers on it. S S D S D S S It seemed to get along just fine that way. That being said I often wondered if having double rollers on the front and rear would be better than having singles in those positions... Just my $.02
For a 7-roller track frame the normal pattern is S, D, S, D, S, D, S.
I just looked at the two dozers I have with 7 roller track frames. One has the configuration S S D S D S S and the other has S D S D S D S (as Nige stated). Randy, when you said the inside flange is gone are you referring to the flange that is toward the inside of the machine as the roller still being bolted to the track frame?
Yair . . . It was always convention to have singles after the sprocket and before the idler . . . I think on some machines there was no clearance for a double next to the sprocket. In our application we ran rock guards and all doubles apart from the singles front and back. . . the theory was every little bit helped to keep everything in line. Cheers.
This crawler loader has six rollers on each side, as for the doubles flanges being worn out, the two center flanges on each roller are worn completely off and are gone, apparently being worn thin and broken out just a guess.
For a 6-roller frame you have a couple of options. S, D, S, S, D, S or S, S, D, D, S, S. A Scrub mentioned above on some machine there is insufficient clearance for the inside flange of a double either next to the sprocket or immediately behind the idler, so front ans rear rollers must be single flange.
I think I'll use the S S D D S S configuration, thanks everyone for their input and comments.