Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bought a Bucyrus Erie 30B lattice boom 60 ton crane

ichudov ยท 2021-06-01 18:12

I know that it is kind of crazy but I bought this at auction today for $11k plus BP. Pictures are here: https://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Bucyrus-Erie-30B-Crane.jpg/ It supposedly has a rebuilt Cat 3306 engine. It was owned by Archer-Daniel-Midland company which makes corn syrup and corn alcohol. My question is, is the 80ft boom too short or not? Anyone in Chicago wants to make some $$$ helping me remove the boom for transport? (I will hire a OSOW lowboy, cannot haul it on my five axles )

Replies24
  1. #1crane operator2021-06-01 18:27

    Well- its too long for unloading trucks and close heavy work, and its not long enough for setting steel. So to answer- its both to long and too short. I don't think you'd have any trouble finding some more boom for it if you wanted, and you can just knock out a section for unloading trucks. Looks to be in good shape.

  2. #2skyking12021-06-01 18:54

    It comes apart readily if you want to haul it yourself. It was one of the first that was really built for it from the get-go. Congrats that is a nice find.

  3. #3ichudov2021-06-01 20:18

    DO you know any videos on how to take it apart? I literally have no clue but would like to learn. Does it need a beam trailer?

  4. #4ichudov2021-06-01 20:19

    So, in principle, you can add an extra section? All I need is to find something for sale right?

  5. #5skyking12021-06-01 20:23

    Get a shop manual and a parts manual for it. Maybe you have it from the sale?

  6. #6ichudov2021-06-01 20:41

    Skiking1, I will check with the sale person. I have never operated a lattice boom crane (I have a hydraulic RT crane only). Wait, Is that a dragline crane or not???

  7. #7skyking12021-06-01 20:53

    take a look at your 3rd picture. You see the red becket at the base of the boom? That is your whip line. Not part of a dragline.

  8. #8crane operator2021-06-01 21:06

    Looks like you can run up to 130' of angle boom. You could even find a jib for it if you want. You're just going to have to find angle boom for a 30-b. https://cranenetwork.com/uploads/sp...series_four_60-ton__crawler_crane_network.pdf If you get a manual for it, it will give assembly and disassembly, and should have a operation section also.

  9. #9ichudov2021-06-01 21:57

    I think that I found it on google maps https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...2e2f27dbf5fe79!8m2!3d41.3455892!4d-88.8425769

  10. #10crane operator2021-06-01 22:00

    It should have expandable tracks, so with the boom out and counterweight off, you should be able to retract the tracks and walk it on a lowboy. A beam trailer would also work if height is a issue on hauling. I'd send the spec sheet to the hauling company, and let them decide what they want to send for a trailer. You don't know what they have available for trailers, they do.

  11. #11willie592021-06-01 22:21

    The machine would have to be fitted with a fairlead to work a drag line and would need a tag line reel to work a clam bucket.

  12. #12ichudov2021-06-01 22:29

    Thanks, so I could convert it into a drag line if I wanted, right?

  13. #13willie592021-06-01 22:44

    Conventional cranes and booms were designed to be converted and fitted with components used for conventional cranes, jibs, clams, drags, orange peels, the list goes on, just requires components necessary to do it. Most rigs that use a fairlead have a "third drum", I don't know if that's necessary, been away from crane rigs too many years to remember, just saying the rig is the base plant, all other attachments just require the proper components for the base plant to work them.

  14. #14John C.2021-06-02 10:04

    You only need two drums to work a drag line and most I've been around had angle iron booms. My dad's crane was a Koehring but was operated with both a clamshell and a drag line. You will have to have a fairlead to run the drag. It looks like the machine may have extra counterweight. I've seen a couple of machines that were set up for special applications like that. Those usually have to be removed for transport. Steel mills and aluminum smelters had drop weights on them for busting up slag. Usually cranes that size are set up with track frames that can be moved in for transport but you will need to check to see if that is the case here. The boom middle sections are usually dropped out and the butt and tip sections connected to transport the machine. If the machine has been in a plant doing only a couple of tasks, you might have to spend some time with a grease gun, a case of penetrating oil and then run things to get them working again before you try walking it on a trailer. I seem to remember Bucyrus used air controls so maybe time will need to be spent fixing air leaks. Nice find and good luck!

  15. #15Tugger22021-06-10 23:45

    Hows the moving going ? I just brought a 30B series 4 home to my yard a couple of months ago.Took me a day to sort out narrowing the tracks and breaking it down. Id be there in a heartbeat to help out if it werent for the current state of the world. Pm me if you still need some help.

  16. #16dirty4fun2021-06-11 05:38

    I ran a 30B just a little while it was set up as a hoe, then changed to a lattice boom. The travel brakes would get oil on them and turning was an issue. Had to put a block of wood in front of the track to get it to turn, but got it on and off the trailer to move it, that way. Good Luck!

  17. #17Tugger22021-06-11 21:58

    Best thing about those brakes is that you can steer on a hill. The Lima runs a similar system that works well,except for last tuesday while unloading on this bridge job. I walked off the lowbed on a busy mainline ,did a 90 deg. turn to head up the spur. Trouble was one brake decided today was a good day to lock up stopping me crossways on the mainline. Within seconds it seemed like log trucks showed up,loaded and empties.Took me about 10 mins to sort it out and off we all went .

  18. #18Tugger22021-06-11 22:02

    Yes thats true ,but its a crawler . You just walk to where you need to be,none of that fussy outrigger business. Thats as long as your working with good road builders .

  19. #19ichudov2021-06-12 08:31

    Does anyone know of a good website or instruction manual on how to operate a friction crane? I looked around and did not find anything.

  20. #20skyking12021-06-12 10:14

    hire an operator. Find the right guy and he can show you, but screw the idea of watching a video. That will get you into trouble.

  21. #21Tugger22021-06-12 22:02

    What do you plan to do with it? The worst thing you can do with a friction crane is to try and run it and a business together. They are simple to run , but they demand your un interupted attention.Get some help to set it up in a corner of your yard and play with it.

  22. #22ichudov2021-06-12 22:45

    Thanks. I am not sure what I will do with it. I have a machinery moving/rigging business, and mostly do scrap metal (heavy equipment removal for scrap) nowadays. I do have an RT crane that I learned to operate.

  23. #23Cmark2021-06-12 23:34

    I'm not a complete expert on these things but I do have some exposure to them. Brief instructions for dismantling the boom; Lower the boom to the ground and rest the cathead on a block of wood. Continue to lower until there is plenty of slack in the pendant ropes. Un-reeve the hook block and wind the rope back onto the drum. Un-pin the pendant ropes. It's useful to tie them to their respective boom sections for transport with bits of rope. Don't get the pendant ropes mixed up. They come as a pair of matched length. Pin the last pendants to the boom foot section. Gently take the weight of the boom with the boom hoist rope. Support the base of the cathead on something (oil drum, typically) and unbolt it from the boom. Take the weight of the remaining boom sections with a crane and unbolt them. Optional; When you have just the boom foot left, drive the crane up to the cathead, bolt it on and attach the pendants. Position the boom over the sections you removed. Chain the sections to the boom, lift them up and you're ready to go. If you do decide to move the boom sections and cathead separately on a truck, use caution driving the crane onto the float. It will be back heavy and quite tippy.

  24. #24GOOG2021-06-25 19:28

    So how did you make out with moving the new machine? Get her home? I move mine in one piece. She's sporting 70' of stick and a drag bucket.