Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bought a D8R 7xm-04021

Jatreecompany ยท 2016-12-28 21:22

Just bought this D8R. 1999 model 7xm-04021 serial number. When going in reverse and turning to the right if looking out the back. It makes a whining/whistling/squeaking sound. It will do it going forward some as well but mainly when traveling backwards. Kind of sounds like it's coming from right side final drive but not sure. I checked oil in right side it was full (magnet had some dusty stuff kind of like graphite looking powder. Left side final drive was about 1" low. Gonna get some 50 weight oil and fill it in morning. Any ideas what noise might be? Noise gets louder the harder/faster you turn to the right(in reverse)

Replies9
  1. #1Junkyard2016-12-28 21:35

    Our D7R had a bad carrier roller and in certain situations it made a similar noise. I'd run it a bit and shoot things with an infared thermometer and see if you have a roller that's getting hot. If something in the final isn't right you may see a temp difference one side to the other. I've found bad pins in the rails that way too, before they were so bad they were easy to spot! Junkyard

  2. #2Jatreecompany2016-12-28 21:39

    I'll take a heat gun with me tomorrow. I'll check into that. Thanks for quick reply

  3. #3Nige2016-12-29 05:48

    It might be useful to determine the approximate area where the noise is coming from. That may require an observer on the ground while you run the machine back and forth.

  4. #4Jatreecompany2016-12-29 07:06

    Should I run 50 weight synthetic oil or non synthetic in the final drives? And how about transmission?

  5. #5Nige2016-12-29 08:45

    Transmission will be SAE30, final drives SAE50. Both compartments require oil that meets Cat TO-4 specification. There may be synthetic oil on the market that mets TO-4 but IMHO a straight mineral oil will be fine. We run mineral TO-4 in tractors that work 24/7 and clock up 7000 hours/year so it should be fine in your machine. The O&M Manual recommendation is to change trans oil at 1000 hours/6 months and final drives at 2000 hours/1 year. My guess is you'll be changing on a calendar basis rather than hours so why waste the money on a synthetic oil..?

  6. #6Jatreecompany2016-12-29 09:22

    That makes sense. I appreciate quick response and help. I always look forward to reading your post. You seem very knowledgeable.

  7. #7Jatreecompany2016-12-29 18:30

    So i ran the d8 this morning for a while and then checked things with temp gauge. Ambient air temp was around 50 degree. All of the rolllers were around 55 degree. The right side final drive was around 80 degrees the left side around 70. All oil levels were fine. Best we can pin point the noise is coming from right side of tractor. It makes noise when cold or hot doesn't matter. The noise is low/quieter when barely moving and gets louder/accelerated when right side tracks turn faster. Only noticeable when going in reverse.

  8. #8Nige2016-12-30 10:32

    Have someone stand directly behind the tractor (not too close obviously) when it's operating. Could it by any chance be coming from the differential steering motor..? Edit: If you find that the sound is coming from the rear case try removing the drain plug under the rear end of the tractor for the transmission housing. If anything is in the process of suffering a mechanical hernia that's where the debris is going to congregate ......

  9. #9Jatreecompany2016-12-30 17:54

    I will check that on Monday. Thanks