Just purchased a dump truck. Its a 1990 International 2574 tandom. 20 front and 46 rears. Front has floaters. 16 foot box, Cummins 240 hp which is a little light on hp but should work for me. Not allot of hills in my area. 9 speed fuller trans. cummins starts right up in the cold weather. Electric tarp, walking beams, Jake break. It is my first tandom for I have always had single axles. I hall mostly for my self halling topsoil, stone, gravel. I figure it will save me allot of trips on the bigger jobs which will save feul and time. Hoping it will counter higher maint costs, reg.etc. I guess we will see. I know the 6 wheel will get into areas the 10 won't. I have a small excavating buisness with no employees. The truck needs some work, general maintenance mostly. Ie Brakes on the rear axle, maxis on the front. Walking beam bushings which will be the biggest expence. I went through and changed all filters and engine oil so far.
truck good looking truck, dont knock the older trucks, most of them will outlast the new ones. If the Walkers arent worn bad enough for the inside tires to hit the frames (rubbing) dont worry about it. They will last a long time, when they are worn, so get all the life out of them before you spend the bucks to replace them, But they do work better, when they are new, if it aint rubbing, dont worry about it, unless you've got the bucks to fix them.
Willis, The tires have scuff marks on the passenger side which look much closer than the driver side I am affraid. I think this could be ticket in the works from our locals finest..:
so whats that legal for in ny 66,000. looks good for an older girl
Thanks jimmyjack, I registered the truck for 54999 which is just below what is required for a overload permit.I can permit it for 66000 I believe. The way it is I can hall about 16.5 ton without a permit. The truck weighs in at around 23000.
It probably wont be exactly 66,000, depends on the wheelbase, Whats the length from axle 1 to axle 3 BIGDAN?
truck I think this is what you are saying, but if you register over 55,000 lb, then you have to have federal permits, I think mine was around $400, whatever it was, it will be the same in any state, because its federal. Not sure in your state, but in NC, I didnt have For Hire tags my trucks and it got stopped for a regular check and it just happened, that the driver was pulling that load for another company (so we were doing for hire) that his truck just broke down and he was trying to get the last load for the job. The driver told the truth, but he should have told the DOT that he was pulling for us, but he didnt, $1200 fine, So now I know that they would be looking at us, I went and got For Hire tags, no cost for the tags, but insurance $1200 extra for two trucks. We havent pulled a load for anyone else in 6 months, but at least we are legal, if we do.
That tailgate is only like 36" High but i guess the box being 16 feet on a tandem that you wouldnt be able to fill it any higher anyway. I always hated loading those boxes with the angled top rails using a loader on an excavator it dont matter but sucks on a loader. What did you end up paying for it?
Willis, in NY we have what is called a NYS divisible load permit. It allows you to carry the max of the truck as long as the truck is specd out a certain way. Axle spacing, wheel base, tire size and axle rating are all critical. For instance In most states a tractor might have 12,000 fronts, 38,000 rears and a 46,000 tandem on a 45' flat trailer all with 22.5 rubber and is legal with 80,000. In NY I run the same truck but with a 12,000 front, 46,000 rears and a 46,000 tandem all with 24.5 rubber and i'm legal with 102,000. Add a third axle to the trailer and make it 107,000. My 04 mack has a 20,000 lb front and 52,000 rears and a 16' aluminum body. This truck without permit would be legall about 54,000. With a permit its legal with 67,000 and weighing in at 22,000lbs payload is 22.5 tons. If the wheelbase was 1 foot longer you could add about 1250 lbs. to the max weight. Kind of confusing, but works for us here.
Pete379, Its just under 20 feet.
Excavate, your right 16LX7.5WX3H=360 cu ft Divide that by 27=13.3 yardsX1.5 tons per yard= about 20 tons more than I am legal for. I agree on the rails. Was thinking if I could hinge those some how so they would fold down. It would make it easyer to load with excavater, skid loader backhoe etc. What do you think?
In NY with 20 frts 46 rrs and a permit on a truck with a 14' box you can haul 18.5 Tons legally all the way around. So you should be able to haul 18.5 Tons on your truck with a permit.
I would just cut those off and put a 2x6 wood sideboard back on. If you do that you would love loading the truck with the smaller equipment. I am guessing if you put the smaller side boards you would be around 7 foot in loading height which most skid steers have no problem doing. A 5 ton mini excavator has no problem with a 7 foot loading height either.
So I am not able to permit it for the full 66000 ? Not that I am going to any way. Just curios...
Sounds like a good idea to me and it will lighten the truck a bit as well. Thanks exc.
looks good congrats
BigDan, I'll check the weight chart at work tomorrow for 20' wheelbase.
According to my DMV chart you round to nearest ft. if 19'6" you round up if less than 19'6" you round down. For 20' max weight w/o permit is 54000 with permit it's 84000. Might need more axles for 84000 I don't know I only have tandems. jr
84000 isnt that common anymore. You need one of the old type 2 permits and 12x24 rubber to achieve. For a new statewide permit, for 3 axles with 20' from axle one to axle 3 your good for 67500. Since you only have 66000 worth of axles, you will be close as long as your tires add up.
Thanks, thejdman.
You might be right. That would mean for me a 15.5 ton net which would be good for me...Thanks..
I am doing a rear axle brake job on the truck right now. Talk about akes and pains..LOL .The problem is I have been inactive most all winter and the ole bod is telling me so.. Its a good thing for the hot wrench for this project. Replacing shoes,drums,springs and rollers. It's my first heavy truck brake job.
Hope you not wearing white!
No wasn't wearing white but you couldn't tell that I was a white man by looking at my face and hands.. Let me tell you the right side came appart allot easyer than the left. I had to push off the inner dual with a port a power with a allot of wamps with the sledge hammer. The right side poped right off no problem. I am thinking it has been appart recently and allot less rust on that side as well. Getting real edgamacated real fast. Gotta change front chambers next.
My brake job which is done. Tryed to download some pics but they where to big. I also built and installed a pintle hitch, Installed 2 new front brake chambers, Installed a new trailer brake controller, Changed the motor oil and filters and it toook 10 gallons of oil.. Feul and coolant filters, Bought and installed a new 48 inch underbody tool box to store my goodies in. Greased all zerks and the central grease station is nice for the dump box pins. I cut off the slanted sides on the dump box and I am going to put 2x6 boards back on. It made it too high to laod with my equipment. I also had the lettering done with my DBA and DOT #s on the doors. I have noticed quite a bit of low end torque on this truck but havn't had it loaded yet which will be the test. Can hardly wait to load her down and hall it some where...
Sounds like your getting alot of work done to er. Im curious how you did your pintle hitch. I would like to try to install one myself when i get a truck, if it doesnt have one, but my dad kinda talked me into getting a pro to do it, that way it wont come back to me if i dont do it quite right!
Hey Preppypro, Well when ever I fabricate anything I go to my scrap metal pile to see what I have on hand. I found some 6 " heavy angle iron, 1/2 " I think ,Some rebar and 1/2" plate. I built it looking very much like a trailer hitch you see on a pickup truck using the 2 -foot long pieces of angle to bolt to the fraim rails using 3 -3/4" grade 5 bolts. and another piece crossing over welded to to the two. I welded a piece of plate on the cross over for extra meat. I also gusseted the hitch plate with the 5/8" rebar to the frame mounts. I believe there is onother thread with the same topic and using 1" plate and welding it to the frame rails. It depends allot on how far bellow your frame your pintle has to be. In my case It only had to be around 6" from the bottom of the frame for my truck and trailer combo. I have also seen where a piece of channel welded from one frame to the other and the pintle mounted derectly to that but it would of been to high in my case. Some trailers have an adjustable eye so you can raise or lower it to the hieght you need. I suggest if your not an experianced welder fabricater that maybe you should have some one who is build it for you. Have fun in what ever you choose..:drinkup
Sounds like it wasnt really hard at all. Do you have any pictures of it by chance? As for my welding and fabricating skills, im a decent welder, and I always fabricate stuff, but I dont have a stick welder, just a mig, and my fairly newly aquired farm isnt set up for working on anything yet!
I have pics but they are to big for the site and don't know how to make them smaller. The mig will do the job as long as you have the amps for the heavy gage steel. I here you on not being set up yet. Kinda tough to do much of anything. It takes time but you will get there.
If you ever feel like you might wanna email them out, my email is [email protected] . My mig is a smaller one, used mainly for body panels on older vehicles, Im pretty sure its too light to do this kind of welding. My father has a good welder though, and I have quite a few buddies that work as welders so i will be able to get someone to do it for me, might cost a few beers but thats cheap
Check out the second red link in my signature for help with resizing pictures.
Nice lookin truck!
Thanks, Still making inprovements both cosmetic and mechanical. will take more pics and resise them to fit here....:bash
Some more pics Finally learned how to resise my pics to download here so here they are. Some are of my recent brake job. I also cut down the sides of the dump box and then aded 2x6 boards. Made and aded a stainless exhaust stack gaurd. New door lettering. Under body tool box, I want to paint the wheels next but maybe change the collor to white or grey.
Mack grey for the wheels, black for the spokes and dip all the hardware in metallic silver paint is a nice clean look.
Sounds like a nice combo,Thanks...:drinkup