I looked at a 1976 KW with 350 Cummins and a 13 speed yesterday. It needs a pintle hitch and a tarp. It was working last fall and parked for the winter.
Nice! Looks like it's in pretty good shape. Best of all...ain't nuthin' electronic on that bad boy. :yup
Nice front brakes
Kw I had a 79 KW with a Cat 3406, it was my first tandem axle truck. It was a good truck and I dont remember having a lot of problems with it. Whats he asking for the truck? Is it a double frame? Just as with all old trucks, they will nickel and dime you to death, but sometimes thats the way we have to go Good Luck
Hey Tim ! ...have you bought it yet or just look'n ? .... I hope its REALLY cheap .....with the GVW on the side I assume it pulled a trailer of some sort ....did you get the breaker ? ...
I put a deposit on it. Waiting for the MVI inspection before I pay the rest. It won't be a dailly driver. It was 10k. Not sure if you guys think that is cheap enough. Owners will pay to inspect it. I don't have definite work for it but I won't have any debt or depreciation to worry about. Did not look at the breaker.
Kw Im not into math conversions, but I see the weight is 42,000KG what is that in tons? In the US, this truck would carry about 16 tons and we would license it for 54,000 lb Is it cheap enough, well that usually is in the eye of the buyer and what the market will stand. I just bought a 94 KW, 16ft dump, for $9000 this is a great truck, I did a little work and painted it and sold it for $16,000.00 US I wouldnt have paid that much for a 74, but that maybe a good deal in your area. I have attached a picture of the 94 KW
Glad you got a good deal Willis. Looks nice. Math lesson: 42,000kg x 2.2 lbs/kg = 92,400lbs. That would be for a truck and trailer combo. We are allowed 17,000 kg on tandem axles plus approx 6,000kg on the steering. 23,000 x 2.2 = 50,600lbs tandem dump truck. Truck and my tag trailer would add up to 40,000kg. USA measurements would be 37,400 lbs tandem axles and 13,200 lbs steering. Front steering axle depends on the axle rating and the tires. Time will tell if this was a good truck or not. Someone can always find a better deal.
I think I would check it out a little further than just an inspection , Tim , I would see what diff's they are #'s and gear ratio , what front end #'s, what kind of brakes on the fronts and i'll bet that 13spd is a 9513 or a 12513 they were not exactly the toughest trany's around, maybe OK if you were a flat lander but I know your terrain and you'll put a tag with your 135 on it and ohh s*it can happen and 10 grand will be gone in a heart beat ... just got the Ritchie auction stuff for Edmonton in a couple of weeks check it out .... not trying to be negative but it sounds a little rich for a '76 with a big cam 1 350 in it ...
Kw I agree, get more info about the truck. What are the rears? My 78 KW didnt have any front brakes, if I remember correctly. If yours doesnt have front brakes, that maybe a issue with pulling a trailer with a load. I dont remember what tanny mine had, but I do remember I had to replace it, I just happened to have a 9 speed, and it worked out good
The old trucks can pull a trailer without front brakes in B.C. That deal fell thru. I went to look at a Ford LT9000. 425 Cat, 18 speed, new rubber, new air tarp, box rebuilt, double frame, pintle hitch. Going to pick it up next weekend.
NOW YOU'RE Talk'n Timmy ! ...perfect outfit ....Congrates ! .... what year is it ? ...looks like a '88-'90 ..... I know they didn't have a 425hp slant six as an option in '87 cause I had one ..... looks like they had a transfer set-up used with that puppy .... was it from a dealer ? ... find out when the last bearing roll-in was done ...ttfn .... GK
Private deal. It is an 89. I asked about the bearing rollin but he is not sure. It was a transfer box. The floor was wore out so he added 3/8 hardox. Should be strong.
Yup I thought it was in that era ..... you'll like the picture window view in there, great visibility ..... and you'll love even more the high-lift tail gate.... comes in really handy when you're hauling stumps and huge rock that'll save the gate .... it has a twin only grey running around here since it was new .... after you get it run an oil sample out of the crank case to cat .... it'll make for a great PM move ...... cheers