Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bought a ripper

Welder Dave · 2023-09-08 15:33

I was looking at Ritchie Bros. online and there appeared to be a ripper that would bolt right on to my 730A so I bid on it and got it for $850 plus 10%. It would have been my last bid. I didn't want to spend over $1000 total. Jade had a used ripper that I'm not sure would fit and they wanted $3000 for it. I figure I can use the hyd. valve from the snow wing to power it. I know where to get solenoids cheap. If it won't fit I don't think it would hard to get my money back or more. There was another ripper off of I think a newer Volvo that went for $350. I considered that one but would have to do a bunch of modifying to make it fit. For $500 more and it should bolt on I figured is worth it. Is that a good deal? https://www-ironplanet.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/i/14051/823/15370053-c089-413b-8920-23cde9f56d5c-medrb.jpg https://www-ironplanet.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/i/14051/823/4ebfcf7f-0e52-4ee4-973c-509e87e83d97-medrb.jpg

Replies4
  1. #156wrench2023-09-09 10:05

    As long as the cylinders are good, its a good deal, although the road to hell is paved with ‘good deals’

  2. #2cuttin edge2023-09-09 10:22

    Buy the smaller shanks and teeth for the rectangular holes. You will use them a lot more than the large upward facing ones. .The larger ones are more for heavier cuts. A complete set of these will break op the surface better for grading.

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-09-09 12:45

    The cylinders looked good from what I could see in the pics. I like that I can put scarifier shanks on it too. Black Cat is local so I'll see who's a dealer for them. They usually have decent prices for teeth and such. I'm hoping the ripper shanks can open up the clay hardpack on my MX track so water will soak in rather than just sit in a puddle. Kind of like farmers would use big rippers or subsoilers to help reclaim wet land. I think the ripper should add value to the grader when I eventually sell it. I saw a similar ripper online at a used equipment dealer that worked out to about $6500cad. The newer Volvo ripper was a steal at $350. I saw a couple others online for $10,000 and more.

  4. #4GEORGIOS1982172023-09-09 13:15

    In my country ripper for cat starts from 3500euro and want seals bushing and pins. Volvo ripper we don’t have.