Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bought Grey Market CAT 303C CR

ChrisWestNip · 2024-06-03 14:28

I have a friend who is an equipment mechanic but I like to challenge myself and learn as well. I purchased an imported Japanese Cat 303C.CR Mini Excavator and it has 4 available control patterns. One pattern is definitely SAE and the 3 others I have never seen before. I can upload the diagrams for all 4 patterns after I go out and visit the machine. I am an ISO operator it's how my brain is wired. I will take the time to learn SAE if I must but has anyone had any experience on these machines swapping pilot controls to turn 1 of the 4 patterns to ISO I will take some pictures shortly and add to the thread.

Replies18
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-06-03 14:37

    Remove the 4 position selector and rebook the lines to backhoe. There is no way to get the 4 way selector to make the 2 us patterns. Or if you like you can get a standard 2 position changer and hook it up for sae/iso

  2. #2Nige2024-06-03 14:43

    Why not post a Serial Number.? There might just be information out there that is useful to you. If it's an import I would guess AZS-something maybe..? Also take a good look at the pilot lines and check for the presence of a different-coloured plastic tag on each one. There wil be 8 lines in total.

  3. #3ChrisWestNip2024-06-03 15:50

    Thanks for the quick replies here is some

  4. #4ChrisWestNip2024-06-03 15:52
  5. #5Nige2024-06-03 16:26

    OK so it is an AZS-prefix machine. The World model equivalent is a BXT machine but the pattern selector on that model only has 2 positions, not 4. Did you find any of the coloured plastic collars on the pilot lines.? They could either be at the joystick end or the main control valve end of the hoses. the attchment shows the location of the tags on a BXT machine. What you are also going to need is a Parts Manual because no informaiton exists in the online system. Go into a dealer and ask for parts based on your Serial Number and they'll look at you like you've grown an extra head. Themanual is Cat Publication XEBG8574. You can get a genuine OEM one fronm HERE on a CD for $109.

  6. #6Nige2024-06-03 16:36

    This table is pretty much universal, but you have to identify which pilot hose is which by the coloured tags before it will work.

  7. #7ChrisWestNip2024-06-03 16:55

    The colored tags are right at the valve in the cab I think. Can see them in this picture the red and orange one anyway

  8. #8Nige2024-06-03 17:05

    If you can locate all 8 coloured tags then you can set up the pilot lines for whatever control system you want. I would suggest that you try the various patterns available using the pattern changer and use whichever one is closest to ISO as a starting point. That will reduce the number of hoses you need to swap.

  9. #9ChrisWestNip2024-06-03 17:13

    I would like iso but would also like to keep sae not sure if that is going to be possible. Thanks also for the link to the book

  10. #10Nige2024-06-03 18:47

    If you can’t get ISO but can get SAE with your current pattern change valve I would say it’s unlikely you can get both however you connect the pilot lines. Never say never though.

  11. #11ChrisWestNip2024-06-03 20:52

    Thanks again. This unit has some sort of scale system on it I have translated the placker on the unit but do you happen to know where I could get an English version to swap out

  12. #12Nige2024-06-03 21:05

    I don't unfortunately. TBH it looks like it could be a non-Cat aftermarket accessory. Can you see any Cat Part Numbers on the panel anywhere.?

  13. #13Tyler d4c2024-06-03 22:32

    On our 312b I couldn't get both out of the 4 way

  14. #14ChrisWestNip2024-06-03 22:46

    what pattern did you end up with which pattern did you end up switching and which hoses? I'm going to attempt this tomorrow.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2024-06-03 22:54

    I tore the pattern changer off totally and hooked it up for backhoe /john deere /iso well I think that's iso any how

  16. #16ChrisWestNip2024-06-04 00:18

    I keep getting confused because everyone mixes them up but what I see is right-hand bucket and stick left-hand swing and boom in the diagram below as SAE which is also known as backhoe or Deer controls dipper refers to stick which is the part of your arm attached to the bucket. This is what I like to run. ISO is your typical CAT or aka excavator pattern. ISO is what is on the Japanese model and I don't know if I should try and learn it or swap some hoses and be productive. you say you took the pattern changer off did you just couple the lines or something?

  17. #17Graham Hamilton2024-06-07 06:00

    This display looks like those used on the Mitsubishi MM SR series excavators. If you go to https://www.woodandtrees.co.uk/ and look for the MM50SR electric circuits and error codes, page 264 shows a translation for this unit. Might not be exactly like yours but should help.

  18. #18Chrisso2024-06-09 08:42

    Or you could just use a permanent marker pen. Not sure how accurate the translation is but looks fairly close. Thank Google.