Bought this truck today on IronPlanet. It is a 2009 truck with a 450HP Mercedes engine and automated transmission, 329k miles. http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/771149 I have been looking for a second semi truck for a while now. I hope that it turns out to be good.
Looks like a good truck! What are you going to pull with it?
I am machinery mover. Low boy with big forklifts, scrap metal, machinery on a stepdeck, etc. My RT crane on the lowboy as well. I have a Freightliner FLD112 also. This is an addition.
Looks good. That's really low mileage for a pretty good price. I've never been around a autoshift eaton, or the mercedes engine. I could see the autoshift being nice in city traffic. I looked at the pictures on iron planet. Looks like they left the gearbox, but took the pump and tank for the wet kit (PTO). You need hydraulic's for your trailer?
Crane op, thanks. It is exactly as you say, the power take off is there but the pump is not. I am guessing that the pump that they took off, was a special pump for certain special needs of Praxair, a gas supplier and the previous owner of this truck. You can see "Praxair" on the door and on the mudflaps. Anyhow, definitely I need a hydraulic setup. I will buy the pump itself. As for the rest of the hydraulics, I part out machinery for a living and constantly come across hydraulic units, filters etc. We will definitely set up this truck for hydraulic operation.
Looks like a good buy for you.
OK, so this truck has an Eaton automated transmission. Does someone have any tips on how to use it properly and what pitfalls to avoid etc. Anything that might be detrimental to the transmission that we need to know about. None of us has any experience with those transmissions.
Might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeSp3C5f6lI http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@roadranger/documents/content/ct_235348.pdf The roadranger/eaton transmission manual looks like the same system as yours, with a different control. Contact freightliner and get a manual?
Can you push/tow a truck with an automated transmission in neutral?
Does it have the paddle shifter on the side of the steering column? If so, that should just be a standard 10 speed Eaton with the shifting mechanism on the top cover. If it has a clutch pedal, you should be ok to push/tow short distances with the engine running. If the engine is not running, if you're planning on towing it for more than a few miles, you need to pull driveshaft.
The truck is here. Looks like it is all working. Drove it around my business neighborhood, without registration did not want to go too far. It really does shifting for me! Also a very strong engine, when it is bobtail it accelerates like crazy. I am wondering: If I drive with transmission in manual mode and have to brake hard, does it kill the engine or is it smart enough to downshift for me?
ichudov,we had similar truck on Van. Island. Had an 18 speed. Was used to haul loaded 3 axle garbage trailers to a bage facility and empty trailers back. Truck was lite so go more weight in trailers. Had good fuel mileage. Not a power house for sure. Loads were gross of 46000 kgs here or 101,000 lbs. Never gave any issues but we had only the one so it was sold off and went to Alberta