Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Box scraper wings for a motor grader.

Diggedirt ยท 2012-04-17 10:31

Hello, Does anyone here use a set of box scraper wings on the ends of a grader blade? I'm looking for something to help carry a little material while spreading sand or gravel and save a few passes while doing it. Just something that will keep material from rolling out and having to be run back in. I don't know yet whether this is a crazy idea or not...I expect that someone here may have tried this already. If you have any info it will be appreciated. Thanks D.

Replies5
  1. #1Davvinciman2012-04-17 11:48

    Absolutely Drift wings have been around for decades. And they work well if designed properly. Getting every truck to dump in the perfect spot is a dream that can turn into a nightmare. Every blademan who has done long stretches of roadway will attest to this but don't expect it to replace using a small scraper if you have real material to move. Some use the mounts for their laser systems to hold the wings on but remember that it was not designed for that and if abused, it can cause some unintended repair.

  2. #2blademan1502012-04-17 11:52

    I've used them all through the years, in certain situations very helpful, I had a pair I made, I left them with my last employer when I retired. Clyde

  3. #3Bluetop Man2012-04-17 12:20

    Never used wings. Best method (for me anyway) is not to contain by blockage, but to deposit fill to the outside boundaries in a uniform, controlled manner off either moldboard tip. This involves not running excess to the sides. Delivering material between the tires is the secret to uniforming up the edges prior to working out material to the limits of a fill. Repeated applications of water as needed really help.

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2012-04-17 20:13

    You can do without, like Bluetop Man says, but once you do it with the drift wing, you will wonder why you worked so hard at it without them. Just a really handy tool in the right application.

  5. #5grandpa2012-04-17 21:24

    I agree with you Bluetop,, I've never used them either,,, to me your key sentence was "involves not running excess to the sides". IMO alot of the grader ops make that error in an edge situation, letting material run off the heel. I usually back feed the material to the toe to construct a straight edge.