My 1990 GMC Top Kick grabs & pulls sideways when applying brakes too hard. Left front wheel jacked up, it rubs the shoes a bit in two spots when turning by hand. Fleet Pride is the only supplier I know of other than GM dealer & GM ain't likely to offer parts for a 31 year old truck. Fleet Pride had a drum that fit, except it is too wide & hits the dust guard. A warehouse in Texas had 1 at $625. + shipping. It was a crap shoot whether it'd fit. I know old practice was to lathe turn them, but I presume if I could find someone to turn them, they'd then be out of balance. Does anybody know where to buy brake parts for this truck?
Measure ID of drum. Measure width of brake shoe. Number of bolts to mount drum. ID of hub circle. Model of truck (C60, c7000, etc.) Engine. List the above and one can be found, and, most likely for far less than $625.
Is it only hitting the dust guard? I'd pull the dust guard off. If its a odd drum, the $625 sounds about right for price, unfortunately. I had one 8-10 years ago that was close to that in price, it was off a old dayton set up from the 70's.
I remember this pain, paid around that for front drums, odd one no one had.
I have a lathe for drums that size. Never had a problem about balance. Maybe swap drums from one side to the other. Did the pull go with the drum? A little different since you said it rubs in two spots but I will share this anyway. Replaced shoes on a couple different trucks and had bad vibration when brakes were applied. Turned them to the one tight spot. Loosened the lugs and snugged two up by hand 180 degrees apart. Then tightened the brake adjuster tight. Loosened those two and tightened the lugs to spec and readjusted brake.
I considered that. Is it legal? A $110. drum is more attractive than a $700. drum. Truck is very low mileage, but 32? years old.
If you pull the dust guards on both sides, I don't see how anyone would ever know if they are supposed to be on there or not. I've run all kinds of stuff that didn't have dust guards on them. "It's never had dust guards" and look stupid if someone asks?
I also would lathe the drum . I think you could have something else going on.
I never am good at planning when to dismantle any machine. In my experience, every time I take anything apart to try to match up a part, I immediately need it.
I thank it was in a Rockwell but it could have been Eaton trouble shooting flow chart. Problem was trucks running in sandy conditions and wearing grooves in the drums. The linings were still good. Flow chart said if it has dust covers remove them and see if that helps. Next line was if it does not have dust covers install them. Never had much use for dust covers after that personally. Only advantage I see with covers it is harder for the DOT to see the linings and put you out of service. I prefer to see them in order to not over look worn shoes.