the manual I was given for my 1997 New Holland 555E TBL to look at says that the brake system uses "Brake OIL" in the reservoir what is brake oil I have never heard of such a thing?
Our 675s and LB series used mineral oil. Can't remember exactly name, but the dealership should know
From what I gather, a lot of farm tractors use it. Tractor supply has it, if there is a Newholland dealer near, they should have it, it goes in their tractors too. Mineral oil based hydraulic brake oil. I was just reading about it on yesterday's tractors. Napa might have it
Cannot say with certainty but probably uses 10W hydraulic oil. CAT says to use HYDO which is their 10W
If today was not a holiday, I would call the shop and get the name, but do a search for Newholland mineral oil, and there a few aftermarket brand names there as well.
I bought some plain old mineral oil from the grocery store and it mixed with the NH oil fine. I poured a cap full of each in a clear container and let it sit a few days to see if it separated. Seemed to be about the same weight. My seals are leaking so bad nothing stays in it for more than a few days.
Vegetable oil can cause some rubber to swell and get soft.
Not vegetable oil, mineral oil. Farm machinery all across North America uses it. We have 4 New Holland backhoes and it is marked right on the cover.
NH575 was talking about mineral oil in the pharmacy section, like baby oil, just a food, or health grade of refined petroleum. I don't know this braking system, but I can't see why any hydraulic oil wouldn't work fine?
Second one down, click on the image to enlarge. http://www.messicks.com/part/73340450/brake-fluid
My rear axle was several gallons overfilled and thinned out from the previous owner pouring that high dollar NH oil in it. After seeing how fast the mineral oil was going through I changed the rear axle oil and tried some hydraulic oil. Last thing I tried was some Lucas hydraulic oil booster mixed with some hydraulic oil. Still only got a few days out of it. My machine stays on my property which is relatively flat. I'm about to get to a sloped area so if it becomes too much hassle I will have to get it fixed. Not going to tackle that repair myself. I did clean and adjust the emergency brake so I can use that a little bit.
Was wondering if you ever got the brakes done on your backhoe?
CAT backhoe calls for mineral oil, went to CAT and it was HYDO oil. 20.00 a gallon
If you are asking me the answer is no. I am just careful not to drive it downhill unless I shift to first gear.
Hello NH575. I bought a 555E last year and you were kind enough to help me out then and I thank you for that. I am also having trouble with my brakes and am looking for the correct brake oil for it. I plan to get the iron gard hydraulic brake oil for it but fear that the previous owner used dot 3 fluid, that, as I understand it, ruins the seals between the hydraulic system and the brake system and allows the brake oil to leak into the hydraulic oil, causing an over fill of the hydraulic oil and the brake system to continually need refilling. I will be getting the brakes checked and if the seals are bad...paying for the fix. Not looking forward to that and will post what the mechanic finds and what fixes were necessary.
This is the oil...aint cheap tho!!