hello, I'm in need of some help. I'm working on an Austin-Western mod. 88L-1022 4wd grader, trying to remove brake drum from the flange, it won't come off. I removed the drive shaft to front wheels nuts holding drum to the drive flange no luck. I bought parts book it looks like it should separate. I can't find a repair manual for it. I think it is a 1956yr. tried some heat on/off wd-40 2 jaw puller, I don't want to break anything. any help would be helpful, thanks Ralph as you can tell this my first post thanks.
Can you remove the drive flange with the drum on? I am not familiar with this "Awful-Western" so don't laugh.....
lantraxco, no the cross for the universal the 4 bolts for transfer case side comes from the back of the flange. I'm thinking it's just rusted to the flange. but I want to make sure I don't break it. I'm hoping it doesn't need a special puller, maybe why it hasn't been repaired thanks for the reply Ralph
Guessing you need some hydraulic power to separate it. Without seeing it its hard to say. Try taking a picture and posting it, might be able to give you some ideas.
Silveroddo, Ill get some pictures up fri. I was hoping someone would have a repair book for this machine, It's hard to believe you would need special tool to remove it, thanks Ralph
up date: managed to remove cotter pin out of flange nut, tapped nut off out put shaft of transfer case, able to slide unit assembly off exposing brakes. I was able to then press brake drum away from flange. it didn't take a lot of pressure, now I'm looking for master cylinder and wheel cylinder parts. looks like standard parts but 2 local parts stores can't help. Thanks Ralph
For the wheel cylinders I'd try taking them apart and seeing if you can get a rebuild kit based on the cylinder diameter. I've never honed one but there's not supposed to be a lot to it. Another one I haven't done personally is find a good commercial shop/parts supplier (Fleetpride around here, used to be catco) if they can't get a new one I've been told you can send components in to Bendix directly and get them refurbished if they don't have one on the shelf.
I rebuilt the master cylinder on the old Cat 12E I had. Instead of going to Cat, I went to NAPA with the parts that came out. No problem finding replacement parts and a few minutes with a fine stone cylinder hone and brake fluid as a lube cleaned it up. Then, a wash with brake fluid and back together it went. Most manufacturers will use standard off the shelf items but sometimes it can get tricky finding out what they are.
I need help with bleeding brakes for an austin western 300 also I am new to this form and can't find the link to click on to start a new thread my brake will not release unless I open the bleed screw and let out fluid for some reason the fluid goes out of the master cylinder and won't come back to the master cylinder and release the brake Kyle
Brakes grader, Kyle try cleaning out master cylinder or rebuilding it may have trash in it, preventing return of fluid
thanks for the reply we did that this morning and now have to figure out way to get it back together any suggestions
I honed and cleaned drum cylinder and master cylinder on my 99h...worked for a day and now master leaking again...for the weight and speed this thing grades I have adjusted to the perfectly working emergency lever handle if I need to brake....problem solved