Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brakes Brakes Brakes…..

navyman ยท 2016-10-03 07:44

OK, what loader has the most reliable brakes? It seems they are the one thing that is always a problem with loaders...

Replies5
  1. #1kshansen2016-10-03 08:19

    I would have to disagree that brakes are "always a problem with loaders". Since most of the loaders went to the wet disc brakes, brake repairs have become almost unknown. For example back in 2015 when I retired we had a 1996 WA 600 Komatsu loader with 25,000 hours on it and a 1999 Cat 980 G with 27,000 hours on it. The Komatsu had never had the brakes apart and the year before the Cat did have a seal leaking in on brake so they were removed but other than replacing a few oring seals brakes were within new spec's. Now if you have a "hot rod" driver who abuses the brakes you can have a failure like the other 980 G we had to replace all the discs in all four wheels that had been totally destroyed not just worn! And that loader had a few thousand less hours on it! A good operator can save you lots of work and money!

  2. #2thepumpguysc2016-10-03 09:08

    BRAKES.??? What the he** are brakes.??? Isn't that what "neutral and reverse " is for..?? lol

  3. #3kshansen2016-10-03 09:54

    Well on a front end loader, I was told that that big bucket on the front serves that purpose very well! Or as Ettore Bugatti said when someone complained about poor brakes on his race cars: "I make cars to go. Not to stop!"

  4. #4Nige2016-10-03 18:05

    Ain't that the truth..? The number of loaders I've come across with "brake issues" that were down to nothing more than lazy/****/hotrod (delete as applicable) would make your head spin.

  5. #5kshansen2016-10-03 19:06

    The one 980G that I worked on the discs were so bad they cracked and some of the internal splined discs had traded places with the externally splined discs! When the other one showed some metal on the magnet on drain plug we removed the planetary at around 20,000 hours figuring the brakes were failing that's when we found them to be within new spec's. Then around 6,000 miles later we found a leak that was caused by a nick in on of the orings on a piston still like new discs!