Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brakes Locking Up–2003 Terex 860

DoubleNickel ยท 2018-04-12 18:05

Last Nov/Dec my rear Hydraulic brakes started locking up. I topped off the brake reservoir and the brakes were working fine. I didn't overfill it. Then it got real cold. Freezing cold. If I pushed down on the brake pedals, they would go down. By the third push the pedal would be right up on top. Brakes locked. Wait a few days, the pedal would go down again and lock up in the top position again. The brake pedal would not budge a pinch. I would leave it alone and in a few days, the same thing all over again. Left the machine on the job. Today (4-12) went back to the Backhoe. Same thing. Could it be water in my brake lines? It is still freezing out. I will bleed the brakes when it warms up. Any ideas??

Replies1
  1. #1DoubleNickel2018-04-13 21:14

    UPDATE: Fixed. I backed off on Pedal bolts 1/4" each and that has seemed to solve the problem. I think topping off the brake reservoir pushed the pedals up tight. Seems to work OK now. Knock on wood!! That was easy.