Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Breakin’ concrete

BDFT ยท 2011-03-15 21:21

Had a job to break out a shop floor last night. 53x30', six inches thick poured over mesh about 20 years old. A single piece of rebar down the middle. It took 8 hours. It was pretty good stuff. I had to take some "cover my ass" pictures so I thought I'd post a few. The beast that did the deed was a 2008 S185 with an ancient Stanley MB250 breaker. Pharoah used it to chisel rock for the pyramids. It still does the job though.

Replies5
  1. #1willie592011-03-15 21:57

    Wow, nice destruction bro. Why did the floor have to be busted up?

  2. #2BDFT2011-03-15 22:34

    They need to install drains and sumps to meet code requirements. Up here all commercial repair shops are not allowed to release any contaminants into the environment anywhere at all. They will dig out below the floor and install two big concrete tanks that will collect all the runoff, spilled waste oil antifreeze etc. which can be pumped out and hauled away. This shop belongs to the local road maintenance contractor. They have all the equipment in the world but the only breaker they have is mounted on a Hitachi 270 two hours away so I got the call.

  3. #3willie592011-03-15 22:51

    Yep, that's pretty much the way it is here, releasing contaminants into the enviro. I don't know that it is a requirement to update an existing shop to new drain systems, but it's a sure bet if they catch you dropping oils and such into the waste water system here...not pretty.

  4. #4BLconst2011-03-16 10:43

    Looks like they tried to grind it down before giving up and removing it. I feel sorry for the guy who had to grind down.

  5. #5BDFT2011-03-16 13:02

    That's exactly what they did.