Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bridge demo

fireman050 ยท 2008-05-21 20:02

here are some pics of a job i was helping a friend on the crane we were using was a old american 5510 the hoe was a cat 318 took us about a week and half to tear it down and build a new one

Replies18
  1. #1stretch2008-05-21 20:39

    Nice. Love to see the old iron still in action and lookin' good.

  2. #2Wolf2008-05-21 21:32

    nice job and great pictures. how old was that bridge that you wrecked ?

  3. #3fireman0502008-05-21 22:16

    around 40+ years old

  4. #4fireman0502008-05-21 22:21

    last of the pics

  5. #5AtlasRob2008-05-22 15:04

    :Cowboy Note to all wanna be excavator operators, look at first picture and make a note to NEVER put you or your machine in a similar position. :Banghead There is not one reason I can see in the photos that the undercarriage was not spun 90 deg. :soapbox Sorry Fireman, great pics and thanks for sharing. :drinkup

  6. #6Wolf2008-05-22 16:48

    what do you mean by the undercarriage spinning ninety degrees?

  7. #7ben46a2008-05-22 18:41

    Well if he slid or the bank let go in the first pick he'dve been screwed. Turn the tracks 90* and there wouldnt be anything to worry about. 99% of excavator tipping photos are because the operator worked at a ledge with the tracks crossways and it gave in.

  8. #8Wolf2008-05-22 20:08

    makes perfect sense. thanks for the info.

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-05-23 13:49

    Thanks Ben, that is exactly what I was getting at. :thumbsup

  10. #10ben46a2008-05-23 19:04

    Rob, I learned the hard way, just got lucky.

  11. #11Dozerboy2008-05-24 22:31

    Those are pretty strong words for someone that wasn't there. I can think of several possible reasons why there was no need to have his idlers facing his work. With that timber enbutment there nothing is going to cave in. You can call me MR. Wannabe Excavator Operator

  12. #12fireman0502008-05-25 00:53

    finally somebody understands plus if he would have turned his tracks 90 degrees half of his tracks would have been over the ledge

  13. #13humboldt deere2008-05-25 01:20

    I have to agree, while usually operating over the side is not the best way, in this case in the third pic you can see how digging over the front can be tipsy. Sometimes the job requires a less than perfect approach

  14. #14AtlasRob2008-05-25 15:32

    cross carriage The point I was trying to emphasise to less experienced operators was the danger of sitting parrallel to a drop off while working. By turning his tracks to face the excavation he would be able to travel forward and backwards in far more safety than operating in the position he is in now. A less experienced op could easily snag something solid and frighten himself and panic with the worst case senario of coming off the side. Straight on he might rock a little but he would be a darn sight safer. :IMO I dont really want to get in a pissing contest with you, but I would be intrested in your possible reasons why there was no need to face the excavation, apart from the obvious, highly experienced op and the timber wasn't going to give way. Rob, :drinkup

  15. #15AtlasRob2008-05-25 15:40

    Fireman, with his tracks straight he could travel out so over half his track was sticking over the edge, with his bucket down in the excavation/hole he would have been a safer position than in that first pic :IMO Grab what he wanted then track backwards till on level ground.

  16. #16fireman0502008-05-25 16:53

    well at the time even if he wanted to spin the undercarriage he could not because of the truck and the road barriers behind him

  17. #17Dozerboy2008-05-26 22:22

    I agree with your point Rob for an inexperienced operator and even some experienced ones too. IMO that is just a bold statement to make off these pics. I don't know what he is trying to do or why he is doing that way nor do I care to try a debate it really.

  18. #18AtlasRob2008-05-28 15:28

    :thumbsup, fair comment, :drinkup