These two cranes are currently replacing two bridges within about two miles from each other. They are both owned by Inland Crane Inc. out of Boise, Idaho. Enjoy the pictures!
More pictures.
The 2nd crane.
a few more of the 2nd crane.
That's an impressive Demag, oakland. Definitely a heavy lifter. But I must admit, I'm partial to the HC108 Link Belt in the other pics. I loved operating those old Link Belts, and that's a nice looking specimen.
Atco I know you operated a few cranes in your time but to see lattice boomed cranes as mobiles is only stuff the old timers talk about here.I have never seen a truck mounted lattice boom in nearly 30 odd years every thing here is telescopic now.
Wow, that's sad that you don't get to see these rigs much anymore stock, they're still quite common here in the states, escpecially old rigs like the HC-108 above. That one is probably a 70's vintage if I was to guess. Those old cranes were built well and can live forever, and, were a joy to operate.
Great pictures oakland.Like ATCOEQUIP said ,they are still a common sight in the states.Contractors will set up a lattice boom crane on site for a long term job like a bridge or building project.The crane stays at the job until it's done ,then they break the boom down & move it to the next job.Hydrauilc cranes are made for short term daily type work as they can set up & break down fast .But the old style lattice boom crane will outlift the hydraulic crane pound for pound in comparison.
Amen brother. And there ain't nothing like sitting in a cab like this.
thanks for the comments everyone! cranes such as the ones above are very common around here. in fact it is rare to see a large sized hydraulic crane here. their are many old link belt's running around here as well as countless other's here is one i saw today:
That looks like and American Hoist 8460, 165 ton. Probably still of late 70's vintage. They've dropped the outriggers to reduce weight for transport. Those guys have some nice looking cranes oakland.
thanks, i know very little about cranes. yes they do have some nice cranes. many are older, they take very good care of their machines.
I'm glad you posted the pics oakland. Yes, you can tell by the pics they take care of their equipment, which is the way it should be with cranes. These machines may have some age on them, but they were well built. With proper maintenance, they will practically live forever.
Thanks for the memories Oakland,well here they will put in a crawler crane for that type of work. The whole half a day set up and knock down plus job; well they came just too expensive to run, and on a tight site one may not have the luxury of all that time.
You really need to clean the floor of that crane ATCO. Maybe get the operator a Coco mat for the running board eh? LOL!
LoL, I stumbled across that pic on the internet Lashlander. I haven't been in a Link Belt Speeder cab for years...but looking at that pic makes me wish I was in one once again.
Tell you what. You ever get to Kodiak I'll let you set in that very one.:drinkup
That sounds great! :yup Does it include Salmon cooked on the charcoal grill? I'll buy the beer.
I feel let down now guys,I thought real operators would have creek cooled beer with turbo cooked salmon,well in Alaska anyhow. You do know how to turbo cook salmon and steaks now folks,don't ya? An' don't forget da garlic!
LoL, I've had "manifold meals" more than once. I was thinking more along the lines of after working the Link Belt, sittin' by a fire pulling the beer from the creek, and cooking the Salmon on the grill with some Alderwood chips on the coals smoking the fish. All this while, the King crab is cooking in the pot on the fire. Mmmmmm, life is good.
Gee Atco you have me drooling like a Labrador.My only addition to that would be some mussels.I suppose these things;with a handful more, help make this journey through this vale of tears somewhat easier. Of course one should remember good food and good company make a great meal.
Mussels? Why, for sure for sure! We could rig a steam pot above the pot on the fire that's cooking the King crab to steam the mussels. For that matter, wrap a couple of "American football" sized Idaho baking potatos in foil and chunk them in the fire...man, we're going to have Lashlander starving when he signs back on! See what happens to me when I think about an old Link Belt on a Bridge Replacement thread? Pulling the levers of a sweet machine all day and having a nice meal with good company in the eve. Life is good.
Well if we're having baked spuds then some nice hard cheddar,and some real heart clogging butter to top off the spuds when cooked.As well as the roosters in the coals, a few chopped onions with carrots and parsnips in foil to bake slowly.Then on the cover of the king crab skillet some platter mushrooms with grains of seasalt to cook in the smoke of the alder wood fire.
Can't add nothing to that, meal complete. Excellent!
Well!!! who doing the desert?
Lashlander?
How about a few Idea for him? Maybe a deep pan homemade thick butter crust, apple and blackberry pie, with copious amounts of home made vanilla ice cream;would that tickle the taste buds?
Yeah, that works for me.
Gee! after talking about a feed like that I have to loosen the draw string on the pj's and breakfast is and hour and a half away.
Very good. Eat hardy, my friend, and have a wonderful day.