Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Broke farmer trying to keep old iron alive

vanillagorilla ยท 2013-05-21 11:05

Hi all, I live north of San Antonio, TX and enjoy working with the old tractors and equipment my family has aquired over the years. Currently trying to keep an old Michigan 75A loader alive. It is a beast when I can use it but the hydraulics don't stay up, bad pump I think, and the carb is just plain wore out. All the linkages are loose and wobbling around on the carb. Looking for a new one. Also have a IH 806 diesel tractor, a IH 464 gas tractor, and a John Deere 401 C backhoe that I am about to try and reseal all the hydraulic controls on. Of course I get all the time I need to do this and my 4 and 5 year old girls never want daddy to play instead of work. But it's a good trade off and completely worth it. Hope to gather a bunch of info from ya'll. Been lurking for years, so I figured it was time to say hi.

Replies1
  1. #1maddog2013-05-21 15:24

    The problem with the simple land owner (private machines) having machines is that the manufacturers gear their prices towards the money making guys(construction). They know money is to be made and they will drive the prices up on there parts. They realize companies(landscape, contruction, loggers and so on) don't want down time and that they need parts ASAP. A lot of parts can be found for much cheaper if someone has the time and patience to search, example bearings, seals, and such. I quess this is what is called good ole American capitalism(???) I just call it plain ole thieving, but that's how the ball bounces.