I have had a problem with the track on a john deere 555g. See this thread to understand the problem It would appear though when the track locked up yesterday, it cracked the housing at the rear wheel. What could cause this? It sounds bad when it is running under load, like there are marbles in the wheel. What could have caused this damage, and where can I get used parts, or aftermarket parts for this thing? I am not a contractor, I have time behind them, and my father ran one for 8 years, just wanted to do some work around the house with one.
I'm no Deere guy but the standard story is: a piece of steel, usually a gear tooth, breaks off and gets wedged between two gears, this forces the gear shafts apart and broken case results. In the old days we used a really good welder who could weld the case back together with good long term results. He did this on the machine with only the case partially emptied of parts. I don't know if this is possible on a Deere. One thing, the more you drive it the more damage you will do.
We only drove it to get it off the trailer then to its parking spot where we can wprk on it...We arent driving it any more then we need to until it is fixed.
555 There are some Deere experts on the Yesterdays Tractors forum....post there & they will help with advice & parts.The forum you need is the crawlers/loaders/backhoes forum.You'll see lotsa JD postings there.