Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brush cutter Door

Shotgun Russ · 2020-09-30 23:50

Looking at getting a brush cutter and most of the manufacturers suggest a forestry door. Has anyone made their own? If so what material ( Lexan, plexiglass, ect) did you use and how thick? My door is pretty rectangular and it should be easy to make something work. Thanks for any thoughts.

Replies9
  1. #1Bumpsteer2020-10-01 00:26

    Window needs to be lexan, when thick enough its refered to as bullet proof glass. Just hang on to your ass when pricing the thick stuff... Ed

  2. #2KSSS2020-10-01 01:38

    They say .5 inch. There is a place in Florida that does a good job. Found them at Conexpo. I had them make a .5 lexan door for my Case machine.

  3. #3Shotgun Russ2020-10-01 08:26

    Thanks that is what I needed to know.

  4. #4Tones2020-10-01 16:22

    If its a flat screen then you can buy the lexan,cut it to the required shape yourself. Once fitted don't clean it with detergents or it will go milky very quickly.

  5. #5Welder Dave2020-10-01 18:18

    I read somewhere that stripping shovels had 5 inch thick bullet proof glass. I can see it when a rock explodes from 50 tons or more of force and flies off.

  6. #6KSSS2020-10-01 19:46

    Here is the link for the company I was referring to https://www.racingshields.com/

  7. #7daveyclimber2020-10-01 19:56

    I have made my own for my feller buncher mulcher. The factory used a laminated style of window. Basically they used and acrylic center with lexan on each side. I reused my center sections which were a half inch thick if I recall and used mar gard lexan for the inner and outer pieces. I used double sided tape to stick them all together. Saved thousands of dollars between 4 windows and they are holding up great after 2 years. Mild soap and water only and make sure they are thoroughly wet before wiping.

  8. #8Shotgun Russ2020-10-01 21:20

    Thanks again everyone for all the info

  9. #9heymccall2020-10-01 21:29

    What machine? Many are available prefit, or prefabricated. If one is, you can decide whether to make your own or buy it.