Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket Class Chart?

HALSJCB · 2019-03-13 13:13

Excavators are new to me and while shopping around for used buckets I have noticed them sometimes listed as a certain class of bucket which does not seem to be a width referance. Is there any kind of chart that offers more info. I have a new JCB 8029 which weighs about 6300# with the JCB manual quick attach. It came with a 12" digging bucket and 30" grading bucket. I assume buckets are kind of like clamps, you can never have too many. Since new buckets cost way more than clamps how can I tell what I am looking at when I see listings. Help please!!!

Replies5
  1. #1John Canfield2019-03-13 13:49

    I wasn't aware of bucket classes until I did some research after I bought my E42, the salesman just ordered class 4 buckets when we were specing out the machine ("you need class 4 buckets"). The bucket class needs to be matched with the performance capability of the machine. My class 4 buckets weigh 400+ pounds - that's a lot of steel to move with a very small mini-ex. My E42's weight is listed at ~9200 pounds or 4.5 tons (or was it 4.2 tons.) For smaller mini-exs I think the class 3 would be okay for a Bobcat E32/35 size for example. The Bobcat website has some info (a chart) about buckets, it's not the easiest to find though.

  2. #2HALSJCB2019-03-13 14:17

    Thanks John. You have confirmed what I suspected that the weight of the machine had a lot to do with things. I will check out the Bobcat site.

  3. #3John Canfield2019-03-13 18:04

    You might want to add a 24” bucket with teeth and then you would have a good selection for your machine weight. I bought a ripper because of the rocks we have and to dig up tree roots. Before you buy more buckets get some hours with your JCB, you might be good with your two buckets.

  4. #4uffex2019-03-14 05:25

    Good day Attached a few parts of the information available that may be of interest. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5ITW2019-03-19 10:21

    Here in Scandinavia buckets for machines are by the volume. So for my little Kubota U10 1,1 tonn uses 30-55 liters buckets 30l for digging hard stuff and 55l for grading, than with hydraulic. My Kobleco SR17 1,8 tonns uses 65 - 90 liters buckets 65l for digging and 90l for grading this one with powertilt My Terex TC 25 2,7 tonns uses 120 - 180l buckets 150l for digging and hydraulic 150l for grading All these buckets works great with the machine size, the Kubota I also use an 55l for digging if it's loose ground. And all machines have the S quick coupler from S30- S40.