Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket Pin Question

quo_vadis ยท 2022-11-15 15:12

I'm the president and former superintendent of a nonprofit cemetery. When I started working there in the mid-90's we had a 1970 International Loader Backhoe 2050 that had a 38" wide cemetery backhoe bucket. This was nice since conventional concrete vaults were 36" wide and the 38" bucket gave us some extra wiggle room. In the mid-2000's the engine blew up on the International backhoe and we bought a used Case 580B but it had an 18" bucket. We wanted to use this 38" bucket with it, but it would not fit. So I had someone retrofit it. Now we are getting a newer Case backhoe also with an 18" bucket and want to use the 38" bucket, but the pin couldn't be pounded out and our new superintendent had to cut the pin in order to remove the bucket. I cannot find online a pin that looks like it will fit this bucket. The hole is threaded on one side (seen in the picture) and the other side's hole is larger like in most backhoe buckets. Can anyone give me some insight please.

Replies33
  1. #1Delmer2022-11-15 15:37

    I would go to a local machinist and look through his scrap barrel for a damaged hydraulic cylinder rod of the right diameter, then have him weld a tab on one end to bolt to your bucket to keep it fixed. If it was already threaded on one end, he could use that also. No scrap available, he can order the proper material if he doesn't have it. Just have to find the friendly machinist, not everyone cares to work with small customers. I would guess the original pin was custom made with the bucket. And if it was an IH item, then it's even more rare.

  2. #2heymccall2022-11-15 15:56

    I dunno where you're at in Pennsylvania, but, I've used Tazgo machine in Templeton Pa for lots of odd and weird conversion bucket pins. Super reasonable and usually has all the round bar in stock. I've had middles turned down, top hat bushings made, and a few that have three different steps in them.

  3. #3quo_vadis2022-11-15 21:23

    Thanks for the replies. I'm in Clearfield which is about 2hrs away from Templeton. I could probably find someone local to do it. Here's a pic of what the pin looked like before. In the first pic it looks like there's a round outline that maybe could be taken out with a blow torch and then a pin could fit through there.

  4. #4heymccall2022-11-15 21:58

    Stop and see the service manager at Anderson Equipment and explain your plight. He's one of the most knowledgeable service guys around. Shirley, he can put you on the right path.

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-11-16 07:22

    I don't see anything unusual about that pin. It is the same style pin that is on my Case 680 bucket. The side with the threaded hole is missing a bolt and washer that prevents it from sliding out. The side with the snap ring would be the side to drive the pin out.

  6. #6quo_vadis2022-11-16 10:54

    Thanks for the info, but don't call me 'Shirley'

  7. #7quo_vadis2022-11-16 10:57

    Oh ok. That odd looking black thing was a bolt. No wonder it couldn't have been pounded out. Ugh. I wish I would've thought of that and told him to try to twist it out.

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-11-16 11:08

    All I saw was a bolt hole. Remove the snap ring and pound the pin out. No twisting should be required. But that pin looks extremely dry from lack of lubrication. It will be tough to drive it out. Don't go crazy and swell the pin form too much pounding on it.

  9. #9Delmer2022-11-16 11:50

    The old pin is already cut though, right? If there's a Case pin that will work, that will be cheaper and easier, if the pin came from JD or CAT, it would still be easier, but not cheaper.

  10. #10quo_vadis2022-11-16 12:02

    The first pic shows the bolt removed. The second pic that I posted a few posts up shows what it looked like before. The bucket is off now.

  11. #11quo_vadis2022-11-16 12:04

    Yes it's out and I'm waiting for him to text me a pic of the whole pin including what he cut so I can try to figure out what I need to do. I might just need a long bolt.

  12. #12Welder Dave2022-11-16 13:59

    If the bosses on the bucket are the same size can you just have a pin made that has holes for large cotter pins on each side? My backhoe has pins like that. Could weld a larger dia. thick washer on one end too.

  13. #13Tinkerer2022-11-16 14:36

    You can buy an aftermarket replacement for it. Verify the that pin I found is the correct one. It is 1 3/4" OD x14.6" long. Snap rings are not included.

  14. #14redneckracin2022-11-17 07:41

    Also in the clearfield area. Try T&D fabricating in town. Ive sent them pdfs and they have cut everything perfectly. They are a fab shop and should be able to help or point you in the right direction. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway. https://www.tdfabandweld.com/

  15. #15quo_vadis2022-11-17 14:08

    Thanks everyone for your input. Hope you all have a nice holiday coming up.

  16. #16Tinkerer2022-11-17 14:24

    Let us know the outcome of the pin replacement.

  17. #17quo_vadis2023-01-12 10:35

    Update: We just got the backhoe last Friday and yesterday I went up and helped him try to get this bucket on but it won't fit. The dipper on the 590SL is much different than the one on the 580B and is about 5/8" shorter in width. So now we're trying to find a decent used 36" bucket that works with the Case 590SL. In the meantime he'll dig 38" wide graves with the supplied 24" bucket. Thanks again for your input. In case someone is seeing this for the first time, the 38" grave bucket was originally on our 1970 International Backhoe and was slightly modified to fit the 1974 Case 580B CK. It was not a Case bucket.

  18. #18redneckracin2023-01-12 10:41

    Did you price out getting the ear moved or a bushing fabbed up? That might work in the mean time till you can find a bucket.

  19. #19redneckracin2023-01-12 11:15

    You said the dipper was different on the 590SL compared to the 580B. I assumed you were trying to get the bucket to fit the machine?

  20. #20quo_vadis2023-01-12 11:56

    I'm sorry, I didn't know what you meant by ears until I googled it. If the ears were cut off from the back of the 24" Case bucket and welded onto the back of the non-Case 38" bucket, it might work but I'm not sure how the welds would hold up. And the back of the 38" bucket is much shorter than the Case bucket so it would take extensive modding. And the bucket would have to sit level. You don't want to dig graves with a crooked bucket. I'm not sure it's worth it financially to try it. The ground at our cemetery is mostly hard clay and rock, so there's a lot of stress put on the bucket. We are a nonprofit cemetery and were fortunate to have an unusually good year donation-wise to buy the backhoe.

  21. #21redneckracin2023-01-12 13:54

    No problem. I was just throwing ideas out there in case it was helpful or to give you other options. I have dug plenty of holes in the area and I am familiar with running the older 3 and 4 stick hoes. Just an FYI, we always appreciate pictures of custom work. Gives us something to do while sipping coffee and arm chair quarter backing.

  22. #22quo_vadis2023-01-12 14:36

    Cool. I contacted TD Fabricating and Welding through their site to get their perspective.

  23. #23cuttin edge2023-01-12 17:13

    We weld new ears on the buckets of our excavators all the time. With the right man welding, it will never break.

  24. #24Willie B2023-01-12 17:37

    Caution: Case uses non standard pin diameters. I had to cut .015" off a standard pin to fit new bushings from Case. Conequip is where I'd start my search. Conequip I vaguely remember offered custom pin manufacturing. A company in North West VT I'll have to research, will make pins, bushings & heat treat. A cemetery might do without heat treated pins, Any competent machinist can do.

  25. #25Willie B2023-01-12 19:42

    No reason you can't dig a grave with a digging bucket. A grave bucket curls out more so you can dig a vertical wall at the head. Might be exactly width for a very clean trench. Some use a frame the exact size & cut the sod first. A cemetery bucket might be quicker to dig a trim hole. Every competent welder can weld ears on a bucket that won't break. The magic is placing them where both pins are absolutely parallel. They could be perfect before the weld & not aligned after. In that there is risk. Changing from older Case to newer Case you need bigger pins & different width.

  26. #26Welder Dave2023-01-12 20:20

    A good welder or fab shop could weld the ears so the pins line up. Leaving the pins in the holes and having a proper width spacer between the ears would be a simple way. Then using a proper welding technique so the welds don't pull in one direction should do the trick. Keep checking the pins slide easily when welding and weld on the appropriate side of the ear(s) to keep the pins sliding easily.

  27. #27quo_vadis2023-04-05 14:00

    I forgot to update. TD Fabricating did an awesome job fabricating ears for the bucket. Home - TD Fabricating & Welding LLC Water Jet Cutting TD Fabricating & Welding LLC, Clearfield Water Jet Cutting www.tdfabandweld.com

  28. #28Welder Dave2023-04-05 17:05

    You should have had TD Fab. do the welding as well. It's hard to even tell what type of welding that is. I'd guess self-shielded flux-core but obviously done by someone without enough experience.

  29. #29Delmer2023-04-05 18:35

    I wouldn't be caught dead around welding like that. That's ugly enough to make some people roll over in their graves If it holds it's fine. I doubt you'll have any trouble, or care about resale value.

  30. #30HarleyHappy2023-04-06 10:34

    OMFG I am an awesome welder.

  31. #31quo_vadis2023-04-10 23:40

    They did the welding.

  32. #32quo_vadis2023-04-11 00:07

    So far so good. If I had a dime for every time someone made a cemetery reference to me....

  33. #33Welder Dave2023-04-11 00:08

    A fabrication shop did that mess and called it welding? That's totally unacceptable. There is no excuse for a mess like that from a shop that is supposedly a welding and fabrication shop. I would have had them redo it but by a welder competent enough to do a professional job.