I have a pet hate regarding the compulsion of some operators to shake the bucket back and forward each time they tip out the load. It seems some operators have to do this all the time, regardless of what they are carrying. Perhaps its being overly critical but I think some guys just love making noise and associate making noise with being or looking busy. I accept that if you are trying to tip out an exact amount of material, spreading it out in a layer, or the material is sticky then bucket rattle may be appropriate. Otherwise, it seems it is a bad habit that causes unneccessary wear and tear. It seems to me that that with most materials the best way to empty the bucket is simply to tip it forward sufficently. Any opinions?
Mine is DUMP TRUCKS slamming the tailgate - being pushed by the tailgate - then bitchen the tailgate does not fit tight
wet material occasionally , but not everytime... There usually another piece of equipment that can scoop the bucket, if it gets to muddy. when your dumping sand, everytime is a bit much...
I hear ya..sorta..my hearing isn't that good! That and the hoe operator who slams the bucket cylinder all the way back or shakes the bucket. No need for it. Drives ya to drink, which in itself isn't all bad!
What if they have a slant gate and they cant help it? Only way i can not slam my gate is to pull very slowly ahead and let the gate sing forward then wait a couple seconds and start to put it down, even then it bumps. It has started to crack, and I have welded it up. I called the upfitter and they said with the slant gate and being built out of HardOx steel its going to crack, and you'll just have to weld it.
operator that like to hear metal to metal noise i call it , they also get to help fix pins and bushing , hoses ..... you want to run it u get to help maintain it.......
It's a fact that younger truck drivers get more miles out of their brakes than middle age drivers- because the young guy's like the sound of the jake brake. Old drivers cant hear a damn thing so they leave it on all the time and get the best life from their brakes
Well for slamming the gate i like to try and knock the stuff from around the dog house loose. i know it can be bad for the gate but i have climbing in and shoveling
This is so true! We do asphalt paving so after digging up the driveway you always have to make sure the body is clean before you load up with asphalt. Slamming the gate helps with less shoveling!
I was tought slam it once was the nature of the truck slam it twice that was your paycheck. Excessive slaming breaks the gate and is not good for the cylinder or the rest of the truck. As for the bucket if it is sticky shake it once every truck load is enough most that beat on them don't own them.
I don't mind it when they do it, I think alot of it is just habit. Plus it's job security for us lowly field techs!!
I can totally relate with 360joe. I've had to fix the pins on our loader twice in 3 years:deadhorse. I've finally gotten to the point that now he knows even if there is gumbo clay in the bucket, he better not shake it more than a few times. As far as the dump truck beds go, I've always used the excavator to dig/knock out the clay/sand etc. I've only let it slam once, falling off the top of the load. I work in a rural neighborhood, so you could **** off the wrong person at anytime, with the sound of a slamming gate!:drinkup