In the process of rebuilding the cleanup bucket on my Excavator. I cut the bottom completely out and the existing cutting edge off. Putting a new bottom in and going to make a changeable cutting edge so it can be replaced when it wears out. Question being, what type of steel should I use for the initial bottom piece that I am replacing? I have mild 1/2" and also ar400. Thought about using the 1/2" mild and shaping it to fit the curve, then using some wear strips of ar welded on the back and bottom side and hardface the inside. Is the Ar too brittle for the initial bottom or even the wear strips? I have tons of old cutting edge as well I could weld on also. As for the cutting edge, I was planning on using a 6" wide 1" thick, 50" long (width) and drilling some holes to bolt a cutting edge too. Anyone that has built or rebuilt a bucket from the bottom up, feel free to chime in. It's my first complete restoration and wanting it to last and not break out or wear out. As I bought it this way and its toast. So rather than scab it up I want to do it right. For whatever reason u can't upload the pic tonight. But if someone can post a few of bucket rebuilds I am all for seeing them. Thanks
Good day Sharky As for the diamension of the material this depends on what the size of the host machine you intend to use it. Here is a illustration with some notes which may help you. You can also reach us by email [email protected] Kind regards Uffex