Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket teeth

dsgsr ยท 2018-12-14 17:45

How to keep them on? I know that I should weld them on. I will when good weather comes around (I live in Maine)I usually weld them on at the beginning of the season. Right now the hoe is a half mile in the woods. Unsure which way to put the holding pins in. Does the tit go up or down. The pins are metal with rubber in between and tits on one side of the pins and smooth on the others side. If I can get a pic. up you can see the type of tooth. Sorry, Not a very good pic/situation. Thank you, DaveG

Replies11
  1. #1Canadian_digger2018-12-14 18:33

    Tits towards the front of the tooth. If the shanks are worn out the pins do not stay in very well.

  2. #2dsgsr2018-12-14 19:08

    Thanks Canadian digger, That's what I thought. New ones are not holding well in the cold. I think the rubber in between gets hard. DaveG

  3. #3catman132018-12-14 20:16

    put bolts through them for now, or if you are not digging in dirt or rock leave them off

  4. #4Welder Dave2018-12-14 20:33

    Leaving them off would wear out the adaptors. Bolts will work but use grade 5 or less. Grade 8 will snap while grade 5 will bend but stay in place.

  5. #5digger242j2018-12-14 21:57

    I haven't had to buy any for quite a while, but if I recall correctly, the dealer had some with the tits on both sides, designed to hold the teeth on to shanks that were somewhat worn out.

  6. #6dsgsr2018-12-17 14:16

    Thanks for the info. folks. I broke down and walked the machine out and welded them back on. Please don't make fun, I'm not a very good welder DaveG

  7. #7Tags2018-12-17 19:47

    It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it gets the job done

  8. #8willie592018-12-17 20:12

    I've seem H&L squeeze pin teeth fall off of new buckets with very little hours, then others stay on forever. But I'd still take H&L over Cat side pin teeth. Grrrrr

  9. #9Welder Dave2018-12-17 20:25

    You could have just welded the holes for the pins in the teeth smaller.

  10. #10Shimmy12018-12-17 20:57

    Could you just have welded patches over the pin ends to keep the pins in, or do the pins break? If you're breaking pins, you need to rebuild the shanks, or replace them. I've rebuilt quite a few shanks. Not hard, just time consuming. Weld the shank up, grind it down, tap the tooth on. Pound it back off, little more grinding where you have interference, lather, rinse, and repeat.

  11. #11dsgsr2018-12-18 16:42

    Not me. I could never be a Doctor, I have NO patients