Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket Teeth Help

cosmaar1 · 2025-03-17 19:59

Hello folks. I lost a pin on my bucket for the 555E and I don’t remember where my dad got them. I don’t have any spares either which is a bummer but I did find the tooth. It is stamped 2300NH-C on the side of the tooth and measures 1.6” left to right and 1.85” up and down. I have no idea what this bucket is other than being original to the machine. All I’m trying to do is buy a few replacement pins as the teeth are still practically new. I’ve tried searching the web for a few days now and ordered flex pins that I thought would work and come to find out they don’t fit. The holes in my tooth are 0.56” and the flex pins are bigger. I can’t even smash them together enough to fit. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies34
  1. #1cuttin edge2025-03-17 20:11

    Any wear parts dealer should be able to ID a pin. Must be a dealer some place in your state

  2. #2cuttin edge2025-03-17 20:22

    https://www.romacparts.com/555-teeth.html Is it this type, it gives a pin part number

  3. #3Acoals2025-03-17 20:25

    Is this it?

  4. #4cosmaar12025-03-17 20:33

    That’s what kept coming up, but no it’s a side pin.

  5. #5cosmaar12025-03-17 20:36

    Yeah my next thought was to call the dealer my dad thinks he went to. Problem is they are an hour away from me and I hate to make the trip for a $5 pin lol

  6. #6Acoals2025-03-17 21:35

    So is it a H + L, with a rubber infused pin, like this: ? Or a J series, with a plain pin and a retainer, like this: ?

  7. #7cosmaar12025-03-17 22:22
  8. #8cosmaar12025-03-17 22:23

    I’m assuming without taking out a pin from another tooth it is either a flex pin or rolled pin. I have another bucket with a retainer style pin and it doesn’t have a seat for the retainer.

  9. #9Acoals2025-03-17 22:56

    That looks like a J tooth, but if it was there should be a retainer in the shank. It could be a different style entirely that I am not familiar with, now that there is a picture somebody might recognize it.

  10. #10cosmaar12025-03-17 23:41

    If I don’t figure it out between now and the next few days when I go back out to the property I will clean the bucket up and dive a bit deeper.

  11. #11Diesel Dave2025-03-17 23:43

    Anything stopping you from removing a retaining pin from another tooth ? On a tooth using a flex pin retainer ,the hole in the tooth isn’t usually round. I suspect the pin you need is a roll pin or (coiled spring pin) . Deere used a 1/2 “ coiled spring pin on some of their older buckets but it’s 3.00 inches long.

  12. #12Shimmy12025-03-17 23:49

    I'm not a great bucket tooth mind, but I have no idea what to make of this situation. Your tooth says 2300NH-C on it. Not a single tooth with those numbers I can find has a horizontal pin, they are all vertical. This could be interesting.

  13. #13Joe H2025-03-18 01:09

    Amazon has a bunch https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bucket+tooth+pin&crid=2SUO9XD5Z9P11&sprefix=bucket+tooth+pin,aps,1487 Napa has them. Joe H

  14. #14Vetech632025-03-18 08:06

    We aren't far from Cinco De Mayo. Celebrate early and put a nice bolt in that.

  15. #15cuttin edge2025-03-18 08:07

    I would say you're going to have to take another pin out and take it to the dealer, or just put a bolt in it. Especially if you don't know what the pin looks like. ^^^^^ he beat me to it. A good bolt should hold if you are not in hard digging.

  16. #16davejo2025-03-18 09:33

    The dash C in the part no stands for cinco, good call

  17. #17Acoals2025-03-18 10:03

    When you get by the machine, take a screwdriver and small hammer and poke around firmly on the sides of the shank where the pin hole is. Sometimes the retainers get all plugged with dirt that they aren't noticable if you are not familiar with the setup. It looks like a J tooth to me . . .

  18. #18Vetech632025-03-18 10:31

    Oppps....I misspelled rebar

  19. #19cosmaar12025-03-18 19:32

    I was actually thinking about doing this tomorrow when I’m out at my property next since I still have no idea which it is. I thought about using a bolt, but my material is hard clay. Not the worst thing but not sure how long the bolt will last. Time will tell if I can’t find a pin! The shank was packed full of dirt so I wasn’t able to do that last time. That is the plan for tomorrow. Appreciate everyone’s responses. Thank you!!

  20. #20cosmaar12025-03-19 16:31

    Looks like you were right. The retainer is in the shank. Now I need to find out what is going to work!

  21. #21Vetech632025-03-19 16:32

    Looks like the ole pin and lock ring type

  22. #22cosmaar12025-03-19 16:59

    yep that is what i would consider it. now to find out where i can buy them.

  23. #23Vetech632025-03-19 17:01

    Most equipment dealers may have those. They are not manufacturer specific (except for that particular bucket manufacturer) and are used across the board. Hell, you may find some on the internet.

  24. #24Acoals2025-03-19 17:15

    1U3202 | Caterpillar Bucket Tooth 1U3202. Romac. Excavator, Skid Steer, Mini-Ex and Backhoe Bucket Teeth. www.romacparts.com You need a J Series tooth, I am pretty sure J200, but you may need to check the dimensions. I have gotten a lot of teeth from Romac. You also need these: 8E6209 | Caterpillar Washers, Bucket Tooth Retainers & Bucket Tooth Locks 8E6209. Romac. Excavator, Skid Steer, Mini-Ex and Backhoe Bucket Teeth. www.romacparts.com And these: 9W7112 | Caterpillar Bucket Tooth Pins 9W7112. Romac. Excavator, Skid Steer, Mini-Ex and Backhoe Bucket Teeth. www.romacparts.com You can also get them on Amazon, in sets: https://www.amazon.com/Company-Caterpillar-General-Excavator-Retainers/dp/B09H8PD8CR/ref=asc_df_B09H8PD8CR?mcid=ba401246bcd0328ead278a682b0792e1&hvocijid=13738927195614382667-B09H8PD8CR-&hvexpln=73&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=721245378154&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13738927195614382667&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019221&hvtargid=pla-2281435178298&psc=1 I prefer getting them from Romac, but to each his own . . .

  25. #25cosmaar12025-03-19 19:50

    Appreciate the links. I kept seeing Romac, but have never used or heard of them before, so its nice to see you have already ordered from them. I am going to try to find something local first. As Vetech said, now that I know what they are I am hoping someone has them. Romac is wanting $20 to ship 4 pins and retainers which I think is ridiculous, but so far everything I have found is $30-50 for way more than I need. Thanks all.

  26. #26LCA0782025-03-21 22:25

    Has no one on this board heard of a welder? Geesh...

  27. #27Shimmy12025-03-21 23:19

    I tried on an old bucket once. Bucket teeth, or the shanks do not like to be welded. At least that was my experience.

  28. #28Acoals2025-03-22 00:25

    Yes, welding bucket teeth doesn't work. It's also a really cobbly short term solution to fixing the problem correctly, and permanently. Those J teeth need to have the retainers replaced periodically, it really isn't a big deal. I keep pins and retainers on hand.

  29. #29LCA0782025-03-22 08:23

    Sigh.... Yes, I know welding doesn't work. Since bolts and rebar were mentioned, I figured I'd toss in the worst way I've seen some teeth attached. Guess I need to work on my sarcasm...

  30. #30BC Placer gold2025-03-22 13:12

    We also keep extra retainers & pins in the toolbox of our 210. Surprising inexpensive…. Over time the grooves in the pin (where the retainer seats) round out to the point where pin will back off the retainer & teeth start to fall off.

  31. #31Acoals2025-03-22 13:36

    I have found that the retainers also have a habit of breaking, which the allows the pin to start working out. It seems like 4-500 hours they start losing it.

  32. #32cosmaar12025-03-22 17:26

    I ordered a 10-pack of J-200 pins and retainers as that is what I believe the sizing matches the closest. Unfortunately they haven’t shipped yet

  33. #33HarleyHappy2025-03-23 07:18

    The tooth base will start to wear out, with time and depending on soils. I have replaced the pins only to find it falls off, a bit later. The shank will sometimes wear around the base of the tooth. The tooth should be able to deflect a little bit but if you find it’s too loose and it’s a welded on shank, you can build them up a little bit by welding them and grind to fit the tooth base a little better. I did a couple on my backhoe bucket when I rebuilt the bucket last summer and they are still doing fine. I did order a 10 pack that just came in. I‘m putting the same teeth on my skid steer bucket, so I will have extra sets.

  34. #34cosmaar12025-03-30 13:12

    Finally got the pins and retainers yesterday. Took a while longer than expected since the 1st place I bought them from said they were in stock but never told me they were back ordered until 4/1. Only way I found out was calling them and asking why they hadn’t shipped yet. How the heck was I supposed to know??? Anyways I ended up going with J200s and other than the pin being slightly longer than the old ones, they seem to work. I wasn’t able to dig anything yesterday but hopefully they stay in. If not I have 8 more sets to burn through