what advantage are having loader bucket teeth? when you grade and want smooth do the teeth get in the way?
Teeth 1easier digging hard packed material 2. Easier to rake trash out of dirt Flat blade 1 smoother job when finished 2 you can scrape asphalt,concrete without tearing it up 3 can pick stone piles without mixing in a lot of dirt
Teeth generally leave grooves because they are lower than the cutting edge. Huge difference in digging packed material teeth vs no teeth. For best smoothing a bolt on cutting edge is best. Don't use the bucket without a bolt on edge or teeth. You'll wear the weld on edge out and it's a lot more trouble to cut out and replace.
thanks for weighting in.... I was thinking of trying the teeth... but I think I would miss the smooth thing... the hard packed material is rare for me, I choose my excavator for crawl space dig outs. Most hard packs i shave it off.... thanks
It depends on the particular machine and bucket. Depending what you're doing the 4 in 1 has a smooth edge with the clam opened.
Bucket teeth are really good to hook chains over for lifting things.
And raking branches,timber,etc.....
Years ago a couple of us farmers among others were getting our machinery operating tickets and it started with an informal day in the classroom doing stuff like lifting and stuff like that. The question was asked what are bucket teeth used for. Our answer of great for slinging loads off because it is like a spreader bar was apparently wrong.
OSHA frowns on this also
A 4 in 1 bucket has 3 cutting-edges so there's plent of options if you learn to use them.
Isn't the whole point of a 4n1 is to have a toothed front cutting edge and a smooth cutting edge?
I use the toothed bucket 90% of the time it seems. The teeth are on the lower lip so you can back drag and leave a smooth surface. The teeth are great for hard packed soil, getting under concrete to lift it, sorting out junk out of fill dirt, and takes a lot less power to dig.
It depends on what you're trying to do. I put a smooth edge on a 4 in 1 so I could back blade to level with the bucket at various tilt angles smoothing jumps on an MX track. I put the teeth back on because I normally use the skid steer for minor grooming now. I used the teeth like a rake to lay out the track without removing a lot of soil.