Hi, I'm getting real close to buying a 08 NH B95 backhoe and I have a question about buckets. I'm going to have a lot of trenching to do on my property and would like to get a 12in. I noticed on marketplace I'm finding a few buckets in my area but not one person mentioned what machine they came off of. Are they all interchangeable? Thanks
No, they are not interchangeable. One of the members here (StumpWally ) put together a spreadsheet for excavators, but some backhoes are on it. If you look at line 1208 the B95 is listed. I have an E series NH, which is similar. I have a 12" bucket, and it is a pain to switch out. I have only done it one time because it is a pain. I do understand wanting it for trenching a conduit in tho. EXCAVATOR Pin-on Bucket Mounting Dimensions 02-02-2021 docs.google.com HeavyEquipmentForums
It really depends on the type of soil you have and what kind of trench you are doing. I did 800+ feet of trench when I built my house for 1-3” electrical conduit and 3-2” media and security conduit’s. I used a 12” bucket as I didn’t have to work in the trench and had no problems with material sticking in the bucket as it was mostly sand and gravel. It is a pain to change my buckets also but it was worth it, to limit the amount of clean-up after. I did try and dig a cross drain for my pond in some white clay and that plugged that little 12” bucket up, making it almost unusable.
It's sandy with rocks, some areas are like beach sand
What kind of trench? Are you going to have to be working in the trench. When I do pipe trenches for drainage, I use my 24” bucket as I will be working in the trench. If it’s for utilities and you are just kicking the conduit in, the smaller the better. If it’s sandy, you can expect the trench to collapse in on itself and will have to go wider.
Utilities mainly
So anything would work, especially if it’s sandy. What concerns me is the beach sand comment. Have you ever been in a trench, without a box and had it collapse in on you, while you were bending down checking the glue on a joint. If it anyway compromised, I would want a wider bucket for you, your family and any dumbassed kid that could be playing around. If it’s just 3’ and probably 4’ where you are an 18” would be perfect.
Agree with Harley...A 12" bucket in clay is really no fun at all.
Also this post if you didn't see it... Rather than a different bucket this guy just mounted some angle iron to his bucket to dig a narrow trench. If I can't talk my father in law to bring out a ditch witch, for some power line to the barn I'll likely go this route. It would certainly depend on the width and depth of the trench needed. HeavyEquipmentForums
Some guys seem to have this figured out. I am not that guy...LOL