Alright can anyone tell me what a Bucyrus Erie 30b would be able to move in yardage at 180 degree swing talking mass excavating in general soft to medium soil conditions no rock soft mud and gumbo material just pond work for now. I don't know how fast they are these 30b's im not looking at the super 30b how much boom and what size buckets I would like a combination of maximum reach with matching bucket size for the longer reach and shorter boom with maximum size of bucket for mass exc. Seems the 30b might be the size for mobilization ease I like the largest machine I can get with the least amount trouble My truckers move my long reach exc. all around at 115,000 lbs 4axle truck 4axle trailers
thx im out of here
Your talking about a dinosaur and few people will have any knowledge of owning and operating one of these machines.
Gonna use a Clam or a Drag bucket? Dragline bucket was generally less than 2 yards had seen a 3 yard but not certain was on a 30B, dry material clam was generally Three yard. Should be unless a repower 6L71 DD Power, gear reduction on that to winch works and friction drives NOT fast but steady. And yes is a antique, over forty years old now for this series.
Thanks for the replies doubt I end up buying any 30b size dragline if I do get one it would be a young dinosaur 1980 model 25b in mint condition 1.25 yard and I was told the going rate for this size around 250.00 per hr that's from the owner I checked around try to just hire one and asked for some kind of pricing here is what I was told 350.00 per hr for a Bucyrus 61b 3.5 yd bucket 90ft boom or $1.75 per ton basically around $2.25 per yd plus moving cost im sure. Another guy gets around 1.75 per yard with his skyline sauerman which has a 20yd bucket yes 20 yds probably big mobilization cost for his skyline tower hoist rig
If theres really wet stuff on top of the pond you might consider Clamming. I think the dragline might create a lot of slop. Loading a barge with soft material 1/4 swing with my 75 ton Lima 60 to 100 yards per hour over a 2 week job duration . I charge 300.00/ hr for that crane. The bucket was 1.75 yd. One of the older Cat handbooks has power shovel production rates which includes draglines from about 3/4 yard up to mining shovels . I will see if i can find mine , maybe someone on here has one handy. Small cleanup and dredging jobs are really hard to nail down production rates . Hourly is the best , as they just need to get done fairly. The 61B would perform well drag or clam .
ok souds great yea a clam could work for that real wet stuff my friend thinks im crazy but I always thought they are very cool machines, beings a young dozer boy and working next to them in south florida big 4600's and 6400 I was in heaven it would be easier to move than my big long reach which we get the maximun permit think its 186,000 any more have to have more axles. the one I was checking out have a 3rd drum so clam should work
Bucyrus Erie recommended to run 60' of boom with a 1-1/4 yard drag bucket on the 30B A lot of guys put a 1-1/5 yard bucket on. It's much easier to make a smooth bottom on pond work with a dragline than a clam bucket.
There is a super b or 30b super back here I stumbled up on 100ft boom' it looks brand new I mean "brand new" looking they said they have a drag bucket for it $60,000 firm as I asked replie was they probably have that in just the paint job it belongs to big construction out fit bridge/ hi way and quarry company i heard they would be to heavy for dragline work what would be the actual weight of a super 30b compared to a standard 30b hd the guy just sent me tons pics of this real nice 25b that has 1.25 bucket very nice looking The job I just move on to for cleaning out a pond yesterday and reconstruct - its a farm that has rolling hills the ditches have round type gravel river rock the size of softballs of bigger along with smaller first time I have ever seen round gravel around hear that size
The 30B Super is a 60 ton Machine but you can drop one counterweight for clam or drag which will put you under 100,000 llbs. Its stable with expanded tracks too.
ok tugger2 let me ask this, if one had the 30b super and needed to get out as far as possible how much boom can one use along with a smaller bucket to get most reach
Id guess clamming or dragline on the 30B super you would run 60' of boom and drop some counterweight giving you maybe a 40'R. at bit more with the dragline. That said the super is a craning machine and im not sure if its built as duty cycle like the 30B although they all will run buckets . Going outside the the chart parameters on a machine isnt recomended for good reason .If your on that mine site where safety is the first concern i wouldnt go outside the chart.All this comes back to running long yarding system with a tailhold. That said i do some jobs with my cranes where you have to go further but its not productive and hard on equipment.You have to know your machine well.Are you still thinking of this for the coal slurry? Is this a one time cleanup or an ongoing maintenance job?
Hi again well one time job for now but a hi dollar close to 100,000 yds of muck that is why I was looking at using a sauerman bucket and a dead man as I have mentioned in other post, this way I don't have to have a great big machine and this 25b im looking at is 1980 very nice 50 or 60ft boom I would think it should be able to pull a sauerman 1yd maybe 2 yard which I have located, I don't like the price they are asking for them so I also thought about just using the dragline bucket if possible 11/4 yd I would have to add additional cable I need to get out 200ft 16-18ft deep sauerman runs on trolley carrier how would or could you use a standard drag line bucket with a tied off deadman, a sauerman cresent type has no floor the the standard type bucket would need to dump some how sauerman dumps automatically as it climbes upwards like a drag box losing its load
The 25B would be ok. Just watch how much line you have on to as you lose lots when the drum is full. I think the drag line bucket will roll over on a long pull and dumping it wont work if your not pulling back off the boom tip. Id build a scraperbox of some sort if the saurman is too expensive, but what is too expensive?Saurman buckets work really well . The learning curve might be just as costly. Sounds like the long line system is what you need. The skyline rig might have a big mob. cost to move material efficently , but a small rig like the 25B still has about the same wage and overhead cost ,a bit less mob but will have learning curve cost for less material moved.Sounds a bit negative towards the small rig. Things in your favor are the customer probably trusts you to get the job done , your inovative just thinking of doing this,and sometimes bigger isnt always better. Id go at it with a fixed mob cost ,something you live with to set all this up and then hourly for the material moving.
yes that's how they want it priced and seams the only way to do it just got a change on this now they will not run this material thru a wash plant its going to the back area which is a waste dump, so now all of it won't have to be put one one particular side only, this might work better and a bit faster as that would decrease the reach to about 125ft its 250ft across. at least the drag distance would be shorter. another company Ramsey has scraper box's and they have a roof or top welded on it it mentions when it gets loaded and full the material pushes upwards and stops the scraper box from digging in any more which also helps saving wear and tear and everything
Im pretty sure that all the 30Bs had the same draw works. hook and duty cycle with a super was what it was built for. The differences were the lagging, booms, counterweights, carbodys, tracks, live masts, ect., don't need a 3rd drum for clam just 2 drums and a tag line. If I remember correctly the 30 also had deal just for clamming with air regulators and valves for the closing line so you could run it off one lever. 70' boom was max at anywhere between 30 to 60 degrees angle drag or clam with one counterweight. 60Deg was 13000 lbs, 37Deg was 6100 lbs. Bucket sizes up to 1.5 yard.
well I just returned from looking at a 25b could use new paint lol. the first pics I seen made it look real nice, a good hot steam clean would make big difference it was not a big oily mess just debris I ask if it had been sitting under a tree for some time the answer, was yes as there is some mold or moss looking type stuff on it around the cable drums looked built up of dirt or decayed organics and the floor around motor and drums has same appearance all the draglines I ever was around were kept really clean and had a mop and bucket in a corner for the oiler guy paint on inside was old flaking off it was in the 40's for the hi and low 30's at night, today after checking it out we went to start it up had to crank on it for a bit the guy said it never needs either has a 4-71 Detroit. I never just crank on a starter, small timed cranks finally it started with no either the engine was a dry none oily leaking one very clean only smoked while cranking once started and running I could never see any diesel smoke at all this is a good sign all the gauges worked, air pumps to 125lb all the doors and glass were in good shape I shut all the doors even the one behind the seat and gave it all the throttle I was shocked this machine was quiet and I mean quiet, I owned more detroit powered machines than I care to talk about screamin jimmys the can be good runners and cheap to work on. I could not do and digging that was a bummer but it seems every thing was smooth operating and it travels good im don't know a lot on draglines yet or cranes. I looked at all the brakes and drums they still looked thick the drums need to polish back up little rusty every thing seemed to function real good pedals felt good also Just one big question: Here is the one big question, please answer if you can or if you have experienced something similar, could have to do with this being friction and throttle position was below medium speed. while swinging left to right I could feel a thump or thug right as I changed directions, the turn table feels real good his nephew ran it for me also so I could get out and film and look at all movements im mostly concerned of that small thump while changing directions they tried to tell me they think its the swing brakes mechanism or the brakes grabbing for the direction change like is this normal again friction needs ran more sitting out in the moist weather? I just hope its not some sort of slop on a shaft or gears it does come with some spare parts it could be a nice little crane with a little tlc.
Here is a few pics Video was to big Mi
Not bad looking in the photo. Chains and tracks need some adjusting.
yea they do I have more pics and a couple videos of it moving the cables swing and travel forward and backward sucks to drive 6 hrs and no digging or turning and it was sitting next to a small pond I will try to get a video on here or you tube whats this thing worth he wants 30,000 2 buckets 1. and 1.25cy plus spare cable and drive chains some gears ect I thought it was going to be one of the best I have seen for that price. I do think mechanically is not bad. for 60k there is a 30b super looks like just came off the show room 100ft boom for crane work and drag bucket also
Check the oil in the deck sump for water . If theres no water thats a good indication of the machines condition as the the oil is pumped thru all the upper works drive gears and bearings. The clunk in the swing is a sign of wear ,but not uncommon for an older bucyrus my 22B does that when it has sat for a while. . Once the the frictions and drums get polished up from use and you get a feel for it it gets better. Some rpm helps to. Its an old old machine thats how they are . That said ,this one looks pretty good. 30,000 sounds up there , look at auction results on Ritchies and then fight with yourself as to its worth .
thx tugger here is a 30b super very nice 60,000 its near one of my land clearing jobs so I would like to swing in and at least have a look
Thats a tidy looking machine that would be nice to have. If you are planning small jobs and moving around id go for the 25B . No tracks to pull in or counterweight to drop . Put a hinge in the 25B boom so it folds and you can walk on the bed with your bucket and your away . 1 load and minimal rig up,thats what i do with my 22B.
yea I agree I like that 25b so there is another machine here in Illinois and its a American 597 and they told me they ran 85ft of boom and 1.5 yd bucket that sounds crazy as they told me it weigh 70,000 I think the 25b weighs 73,000 according to the book with the kind of boom "think they call it ten something" and 36" tracks ect.
Also be REALLY careful if buy one of those 'Slick Shoe' machines when loading, they slide in a BIG way and in a BIG Hurry when they do. Another thought, when loading, set it the way you want to put on the trailer as DO NOT rotate the house once loaded, plenty of fellas have tried, a few got away with that once or twice, not many machines survived.
I always lay some belting down on bare steel . Anything bigger than a 50 ton crawler has to drop all its counterweight . Then they wont tip backwards and they will crawl on to the bed without standing on end. Loading with counterweight on can be dicy you need to know the machine ,they also want to squat back on the counterweight when crawling on the best of ramps. When i can ill leave an extra 10' section of boom on the heel or even 20' sometimes its not usually a problem with the lenght as we always have a booster on the back end. Keep boomed down low and block the back end of the bed with the front of the bed on the ground . That way you can swing around and come off frontwards ,rattling off backwards can be disastrous too. If the machine has a torque engage it in the direction of travel and leave it there dont try and feather it . you ll roll a bit quick as the slack in the chains and tracks tightens up. Then at a low idle use one of the hoist frictions to stall the torque as you roll off . Go dead slow ,do nothing fast as you tip and you will come off smooth. Saying that, some machines can steer off a bit then just let them roll free,it wont be pretty but but you get off ok. Im speaking from hundreds of trips on and off lowbeds ,seems easy to me . If you cant get some experienced help to load and your concerned run your drag cable thru the fairlead thru a snatch block to the back of the lowbed and pull your self on. Ive done that with poor travelers . Keep your boom low, set some decent blocking to crawl up on and put belting between any bare steel.
10/4 on all the above but when it comes to cranes and big excavators give me a set of rails. That said I don't usually get my way.
Rails are cool, but we dont see them used much around here. Centre beams with a cantilever deck is as good as it gets for us.
well dumb ass me I had a beautiful 75ton 10ft wide and 12ft with out rigger boards 4axle and kw900 4axle sold them not long ago before I got the trailer all it did was move cranes totally rebuilt Nelson specialized went back to them and put on rotissori blasted inspected painted yellow imron. truck and trailer weight 62,000 total allowed in Illinois 186,000 I believe all my big excavators had expandable tracks I never change them once move outward.
Tug I finally figured out what the old ford in the bucket kept reminding me of.....a hermit crab that my daughter had years ago.
That was my brand new F250 in 1977 inside a 14 yd. P&H shovel bucket. A friend and i were working as welders for Finning Tractor in Port Hardy. We had just finished welding a new manganese lip on that bucket ,about 14" thick at the weld. Rolls and rolls of 3/32 stainless wire. I just had to try driving my truck in before we hung the trap door. Ok far enough off topic for now.
Alright back to the little Bucyrus erie 25b it has 50ft tri ten boom on it total length from rear of machine to tip of boom is 62ft long whats the best type of hinge set up could you explain how its done would be nice to haul all in one load thx
I just stumbled across this thread. I am the owner of that 25B now! It came with two nice 1.25yd Hendrix buckets (one TS and one LS) and a bunch of parts. I took the boom off to transport it. I bought it in 2022. It's in great condition. Check out the video of it on my YT channel. Moving it was pretty easy.
Not finding the video.
Here you go!
Cool! Thanks. Do you have work for the crane?
Yes, I use it mostly for lifting but I have some pond work as well.
Haven you run a dragline before?
Yes. I already had a Northwest 25 before I got the BE.
I've run both, you'll love the Erie.