Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucyrus Erie Propel Chain Tool

RBMcCloskey ยท 2015-01-03 11:25

I had, optimum word "had", a marvelous tool that came with the 20-H Bucyrus Erie backhoe I bought from Binder Machinery Co. in the mid 1970's. It was used to draw the travel chains together when repairing or replacing them. It was made of flat bar stock, the two halves sliding on each other and kept in alignment by passing through clamps, with opposing hook ends and had a adjusting screw to tighten the two halves, the beauty was that the two sides of the chain aligned on top of the tool to assist installing the link pin. Arnold Kimmel, the shop foreman gave it to me, and explained B-E had these for various size machines from the 15-B to the 88-B, they were sold as factory tools. My question and sincere hope is that you gentlemen have one that I might be able to take measurement from or wish to sell. I also have to believe that Bucyrus Erie was not the only manufacturer that had something like this for drive chain repair. As all the crane & shovel manufacturers had special tools for their machines. Any other tooling would be interesting as well. Thanks, Bob

Replies7
  1. #1sheepfoot2015-01-03 12:04

    I had one that I gave away years ago, That would hold the chain to take links out and pull the ends to install a link back. Hatch Equipment on this site does a lot of crane work. You may want to PM him also. They make a puller tool by Patterson tools I think that uses a cable puller rig but it's not like the old slide bar with the adjustment tool. A come along with two foundry hooks will work also but it's still not the same as what you are looking for.

  2. #2tool_king2015-01-03 17:54

    I have one of those that I use when doing dozer and excavator track .bought on ebay .if you type in caterpillar crawler track tool .there is one list .price is $175. I have see them on there quite offended.if you Google caterpillar crawler track tool should come up.

  3. #3RBMcCloskey2015-01-03 19:38

    Thanks, I bought it. It is not what I was looking for but I can see MANY uses. Thanks again. Bob

  4. #4kshansen2015-01-03 19:51

    Simple tool but can see it being just what is needed and pay for itself if only used a couple times. I've seen similar tools for smaller roller chain that were more of a scissors design. On much smaller chain like the drives in a 1845C Case skidsteer I have had luck using a zip-tie to hold chain together while working to install the master link. Probably need a real big zip-tie on a BE-88-B !

  5. #5tool_king2015-01-03 22:15

    RBMcloskey The one I have has a 3/4 drive in for ratchet or impact wrench.But etheir set up ia back saver.

  6. #6tool_king2015-01-03 23:51

    RBMcloskey Do you have a picture of the tool you had or one that is in the service manual .

  7. #7RBMcCloskey2015-01-08 19:10

    Unfortunately no, I am going to attempt to recreate it on paper first with the assistance Charlie R., local mad scientist, machinist, inventor and welder extraordinaire ( made his own line bore welding & boring machine). Would you have a picture of the tool you described in post #6?