I need to pump water out of a pond that has a lot of algae, weeds and other crap in it to use for watering an oval track. I made a cheap spray bar out of PVC with a bunch of holes in the bottom. It works great with clean water but the holes are only 1/4" oval shaped and were getting plugged with crap from the pond. I was looking for something I might have laying around to put on the suction strainer. I had some expanded metal but it still had fairly big holes. Then I saw an old air filter from the Topkick water truck (366 EFI). It had a metal screen around the filter element that looked like it could work. I ripped the rubber off the sides and it was the perfect width to wrap around the suction strainer. Put 3 wraps of zip ties around it and seems to be working. Don't know how long it will last but didn't cost anything other than a few small zip ties. They make pond filters but I'm going to hold off till the weather and everything else improves. Has been a horrible year for rain and the Covid certainly hasn't helped anything.
What we would do is take a piece of plastic pipe that the suction hose strainer can fit in ,cut it as long as needed ,put slices in pipe ,cap end ,hold pipe upright and fill around with clean stone,put hose in pipe , pump out.
Rock strainer may be your best bet, form a barrier of mixed stone sizes to set your pump intake into so that becomes your roughing filter. For pond feeds around here they use a pile of tires filled with clean creek rock to skim the scum off.
Seems most stuff is either floating or sinking. Can you hold your intake in between the bottom and surface ??
They make filters with an element inside and a foam sleeve on the outside, very similar to an air filter on a small engine that I might consider if the track gets busier. https://www.flamanagriculture.com/water-filters-p502
When I was on the fire department we had screen filters and used old empty helium or refrigerant canisters to provide the float if we had to draft out of a pond