Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

#@&%$# bugs!

curb guy ยท 2011-06-24 22:52

I had the good fortune of pulling a double shift in the shop last week. Working at night is pretty nice, no phone calls, salesman or buddies stopping by to **** chat.Only problem-BUGS. Mosquitoes, gnats and other flying pests. I had a couple scentrenella candles lit by the toolboxes, didn't seem to make a huge difference, and some 'off' that kept the 'skeeters' from biting, but I still had all these d#$%n bugs flying around. I was wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem and, if so how did you deal with it? Thanks guys!

Replies17
  1. #1grandpa2011-06-24 23:18

    Well, if you have your safety glass's, steel toed boots,,,, safety vest... safety belt and lanyard,, and latex gloves,,, there really should't be alota room left you or those bugs to wiggle....lol.

  2. #2ScottAR2011-06-25 03:29

    Short of building a screen frame for your door that you put in place before dark... Don't have much choice... A large fan moving air directly at you also works so long as you stay in the airstream. Beyond that just deal with it. HTH

  3. #3alrman2011-06-25 03:50

    This is real. Only in Australia :thumbsup :drinkup (check the video) http://www.bisleyworkwear.com.au/ :roll How many do you want? I'm taking orders NOW! :roll

  4. #4westmont2011-06-26 01:07

    Yeah, they're a pain. The headlamp on my hard hat draws moths and other flying bugs. These attract the bats which procede to dive bomb as long as the light is on. I've had several bounce off my hard hat.

  5. #5Greg2011-06-26 21:35

    not really related to bugs, but I had a seal gull dive on me when I was about 60 feet in the air on top of a dust collector we were taking apart about 10 years ago. Came out of no where and got me in the hard hat. All of my guys had a good laugh out of that one.

  6. #6Bison2011-06-26 23:28

    Try unplugging a haybine or fix the cutter bar on one when cutting hay. Friggin skeeters are thicker than hairs on a dog and eats one alive.

  7. #7CRAFT2011-06-27 13:49

    Try one of those big electronic bug zappers that hang from the ceiling or ? ...... they do work ..... well at least it'll knock the population of bugs down ...... and the dark-side of you will enjoy watching them get blown up ..... lol .... grin and bear it

  8. #8FSERVICE2011-06-27 23:09

    put the door down you wont have a bug problem! i am fortunate to have ac in my shop ;-)

  9. #9durallymax2011-06-29 08:37

    skeeters aphids and a lot of other bugs, the whole thing is crawling every square inch. this was going to be my suggestion as well.

  10. #10riddle2011-07-07 00:26

    Vanilla should help the gnats. As in vanilla extract like you would use for baking.

  11. #11curb guy2011-07-12 23:11

    Thanks for the responses guys! It just so happened that yesterday evening I noticed the guys at the city garage, which is next door to my shop, getting their mosquito fogger ready and it hit me. I sauntered over and got to talking to them, most of whitch I know pretty well and ,they said whenever they take it out ,they'll make a lap around my lot! So I'll see if that makes any difference. I should have thought of that earlier!

  12. #12Randy882011-07-18 14:32

    Vanilla will help with gnats, what if you bathe in gallons of it or drink it by the gallon? We're building terraces out back and I swear sound and movement attracts the little buggers and they are outnumbering me by the millions, you'd think after a few hours they would get tired of flying and take a rest somewhere but maybe thats when the second million come to life and they take shifts to annoy me. Will the vanilla attract the skeeters then if I put some of that on or do we need the cocktail of things, vanilla, deet, fly spray and whatever else we have at hand to spray on or smear on.

  13. #13ijoker2011-07-18 15:46

    I have some forest land here in Oregon. We always have mosquitoes this time of year. But because of a lot of water from an unusually wet, and long, winter, they are out in the thousands. I do like i have always done....... Put on 100% deet. I found that always works the best. The no-see-ums are another story though. I put the stuff on my head, but they don't seem to care. They like to get in your hair and ears. Annoying little critters!

  14. #14monkey2011-07-18 18:10

    A fogger works great, either the propane or electric, cheapest solution or your could install a insect misting system, uses a water based repellent. You place the nozzles where ever you want control, they are fed from usually 55 gallon drum of the mixture and a small high pressure pump. Probably set up a system for around 1200 bucks or you can also get individual misting stations, they use small can of insecticide and you can program them to mist at whatever times you want. These usually operate on 2 D or C size batteries. You just hang em on your walls. Think these cost around 25 bucks a piece, they are pretty effective

  15. #15Taylortractornu2011-07-23 10:22

    I love welding in my shop at night and mothes and beetles flying into my helmet or in the weld puddle. I was welding up a punctured fuel tank on a friends D3. I was using my old Mig and and about halfway through the top and last bead and big bug flew into the the puddle contaminating it. I had to gring out that part and reweld it. Ive was welding up a bore one night on a weekend that a friend was going to bore later the next day. I had a tumble bug fly into the helmet and almost wrecked me. I had a nut welded to the muffler on my air compressor in the shop and one on the servis truc aircompressor to. Folks ask about this. I have a sort bolt that has them closed off. I have a can of Malathion/fogger mix I keep with me when bugs are a problem Il llet them run a minute and get hto then screw in a can I have with a fitting on the bottm to fit the nut. I will fill it with a few capfuls of mix. I will sit i nthe cab with the ac on till it fogs off the area. I also have a ton of citronella oild I can use in them. Also around my shop I have a few citroneall plants plated around to help. Sometime Ill take a few leaves off tem and throw in a burn barrel outside the shop.

  16. #16HATCHEQUIP2013-06-04 21:34

    One time in florida on a job the skitters were trying to carry us off and we had already used up all the repellant at the little stores around us and I was asking one of the ladies when the next shipment might come in and she said honey why don't you go up the street to this house that's got a avon sign out front and ask the lady for some SKIN SO SOFT LOTION well I thought what the *** Ill try it and see went back out on the line and no bites and the bugs stayed away. After a hour or so and a bunch of ribbing me about smelling so good the other guys were begging me to tell them what it was, after that we were the best smelling crew down there. THAT STUFF WORKS

  17. #17MitchSA2013-06-07 07:52

    That is cool. I almost threw in the towel a couple months ago working on site. We had a stink bug swarm come through the workshop............ And it was night shift just to add insult to injury.