Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building 3 point PTO attachment

joshs ยท 2012-04-13 10:00

What hydraulic motor would be best for a pto motor on an 1845C? I see the specs show the 1845c has 16 gpm flow at 2300 psi. I'm thinking the 4.95 cu in motor here would work, although I'd have to throttle about 3/4 throttle to get around 540rpm at 12gpm. I plan on running a tiller with it, so speed really isn't important.

Replies3
  1. #1CRAFT2012-04-13 12:22

    Depending on what torque range hyd motor you are using ..... but you are pretty close to being bang on with what you have chosen for the displacement ...... I JUST finished doing a simular conversion on your twin ... the 1840 ..... same engine HP, same gpm and psi ..... I mounted a converted PTO Allied/Buhler snowblower ......for what was there (engine HP/GPM/PSI) it worked awesome ....... the hyd math is : (16gpm x 231) divide your hyd motor disp. (4.95) into that = 746.6 rpm ... but that is at 100% (which is free wheeling) ... take 80% of that = 597rpm under load and you will hear the diesel load up, so you'll probably have it at wide open throttle and once the engine starts to work it'll be bang-on ..... have fun.

  2. #2ironjunkie2012-04-13 20:29

    I'd like to convert a blower also. Used 3pt blowers can be found a heck of a lot cheaper and easier than a SS/hyd blower! What is the math for about 40gpm? I have a Gehl 7800 with up to 40 gpm on the std. 2 hose aux circuit, and I don't know how much on the 3 hose, high flow side, I've never used it. From your experience, how wide of a snow blower could I use with my available GPM? Some where I remember reading the hyd. hp rating, but I could not find it just now. I would mostly be using the blower to "blow back" after previous accumulations and having run out of space to put snow with a reg plow. So in other words I'd be burrying it, most of the time, not just getting rid of a regular snowfall. I'd like to convert a dual auger 84"+ unit.

  3. #3CRAFT2012-04-13 23:58

    There are a few guys out here that are using hi-flow blowers (like myself & KSSS) ....most of the blowers that are capable of handling up to 40 gpm are using the 6000 series Eaton Charlynn motors ........ mine is the commercial Buhler 84" with 2 motors (1-fan, 1-auger) and they're both 11.9 cu.in. motors..... mine are not direct drive like some of the other brands out there, it is set-up with chain drive on both individual functions ...... myself I wanted that so I could play with the sprockets to fine tune the rpm's of the fan (which I did), before I did that it was a 1:1 ratio on the fan .... if you are thinking of using a pto version most are also 1:1 direct drive thru the gear box, the jack shafts 1:1 rpm is adjusted at the sprockets down to from what I remember to 200rpm on the auger ....... the math you ask was (37gpm x 231) divided by 11.9 = 718rpm x 80% = 574.5 rpm at the fan (Bcats hi-flow is only rated @37gpm) ... your 40 gpm will be about 621rpm at 1:1 on the fan ....hope this helps you out a bit ...cheers