Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building a “box screen”

nedly05 ยท 2009-10-25 10:16

Hi Guys, I am hoping to build a box screen this winter to screen topsoil,sand, and gravel. I have the basic frame work idea figured out (although its only in my head ) I just need some input as to what to use for a shaker. I have looked at the vibco website, and I am thinking of using 2 of their hydraulic "big-bertha" dump bed vibrators, one on either side to vibrate the screen, and a hydraulic power unit from northern tool. link to the vibrator: http://www.dumpbodyvibrators.com/ link to the power unit: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200225874_200225874 What do you think, will this work, or should I check into something more substantial? Please post any ideas, experiences etc. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Replies5
  1. #1wbardo2009-11-05 16:00

    This is a topsoil screen that I built for a friend. I made it similar to the read screen all using an offset weight on a shaft driven by hydraulic motor. When I was building it I thought about using something like the vibrator that you mentioned, but thought that it wouldn't hold up to 8-10 hr/day use. The little kubota engine I used was only $900 on ebay and purrs along all day on a couple gallons of fuel. I included a big (I think 25 gallon) hydraulic tank to keep things running a little cooler. The most expensive part was the bearings and couplings for the counterweight shaft, but I went big (2 15/16") on that so that it would hold up to the constant beating. The springs were ordered from Read. The steel came from two different auctions I went to. All the flat plates came from a water tower (had to flatten out the curved pieces) and the beams and angles were from another auction. Took a long time to piece everything together with my schedule, but he is very happy with it and has been using it for a couple years now. Let me know if you have any other questions, also you are not that far away (I'm near Elmira, NY) if you want to take a look at it. Wade

  2. #2wbardo2009-11-05 16:06

    More construction pictures. Wade

  3. #3wbardo2009-11-05 16:19

    More construction pictures. I should add that the Read Screen-All is a great piece of equipment and I am not trying to put them out of business by building my own. It is just a little out of our price range and hard to justify for the amount it gets used. It is nice to have the screen around for when you need it though. If you need to do one load or you have some down time you can screen a bunch of material. Good luck with your project. Wade

  4. #4EZ TRBO2009-11-05 18:55

    Great build. Thanks for sharing, very professional looking job. Trbo

  5. #5nedly052009-11-06 04:56

    Great job Wade, and thanks for the invite and the great info. I've been to Elmira, went to Tyler Fire Equipment to pick up our new pumper a few years back. Boy you aint kiddin!!!:drinkup